Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.2  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.2
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
Here is the second of the Fibulae I would like some help with please.... The same questions apply as the Nr. 1 post, should I clean more, and can I get an approx. age and area please?

Best wishes, and thanks in advance,

Lee.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.2
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03:14 am »
Another nice fibula.

It is a Knee fibula, spring type (not hinge type).  But I don't think I have ever seen the exact type.  It has a very wide body, which is common on some types, but has no head plate.  There is usually a small flat section that sticks out the front over the spring.  these can be small or large, semi-circular or rectangular, or rarely triangular.  But are almost always there. 

Can you tell if there are traces of a head plate that broke off?  Doesn't seem to be but was just curious.

Based on its overall design it is almost certainly from Pannonia as well and dates to circa 150 - 225 AD.  Knee fibulae were used by the Roman military.

I don't think this one needs any more cleaning either.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:31:39 am »
Thanks for the info Shawn... Nice to know I have something a little unusual, even more so as these fibulae came to me pretty much by accident! They were in a grab bag of bits and bobs I bought mainly for the uncleaned coins in the package!!

I don't recall seeing any traces of anything broken off over the spring, but I will check when I get home from work and report back!

Thanks again,

Lee.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:00 am »
After a little more cleaning around the spring I think I can safely say there was nothing ever attached, here is a close up if you are interested...

Lee.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:52 pm »
You are right.  No head plate.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity