Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.1  (Read 935 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.1
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
Hi Guys who are good at this stuff!! ;)

Here is the first of 2 Fibulae I have had on my desk for a year or 2 now, and plan on mounting in a display frame, Its not my exact area if interest, but pretty cool anyways, so any hints of age, area, and opinions as to the state of the cleaning job would be VERY welcome.. ( I have cleaned them using DW and a toothbrush, I think I could get them cleaner, but don't know if I should... I have this problem with coins also, so opinions here would be well received!! )
 They came in a mix-bag of artifacts from Cyprus, but I have no idea where they were found...

Thanks in advance!!!

Lee!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A little help on 2 Fibulae please Nr.1
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:56:44 am »
Nice fibula.  It goes by the unimaginative name of:  Short Arm T-shaped Hinged Crossbow Fibulae.  It is a type of early crossbow fibula.

Typology:  Bojovic XXXV.3; Genceva 23a  (This is how some authors have classified this type.)

Dates:  c. AD 175-325/350, flourished c. AD 200-300.

Distribution:  Rhine and Danube Limes, especially Pannonia

So this is basically a typical 3rd century AD Roman soldier's fibula from what is today western Hungary and northern Serbia.

I think that the cleaning is fine.  You have exposed the interesting engraving on the foot which is the main thing.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:16:15 am »
Thank you very much indeed for your time Shawn!! It is well appreciated!
 +++ ;D +++

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:10:23 am »
Please add to the Fibula pages in NumisWiki!  Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity