Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: very special Pius denarius  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
very special Pius denarius
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:28 am »
It could be considered an engraver's error, but this coin was once officially catalogued by Cohen:
IMP CAES T AEL ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP ( HADR omitted) laureate head right / TR POT XIIII - COS IIII ; PAX in exergue. Pax standing left, holding branch and sceptre. This coin weighs 3.25 grams.
Why it was not copied from Cohen into RIC, I don't know, but Strack noticed examples in Paris and Sofia (Str 226) and therefore the coin is incorporated in RSC as nr 583. The note in BMC with nr 749 refers back to Cohen.
Hope you like this coin. (I have made better pictures)

Frans

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: very special Pius denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:53:13 am »
Incredible coin Frans! Splendid to have such a rarity in such fine condition too.

Congrats!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:22:22 pm »
Frans,

As I stated in my essay on the temple of Divus Hadrian on sestertii of Pius (under Classical Numismatics), this legend without HADR was clearly intentional and was the short-lived earliest form of the long obverse legend that Pius introduced on his coins in the course of his TR P XIIII.

Not only is this variant well attested on PAX denarii like yours (nice coin!), but it also occurs with Pius' other two concurrent denarius reverse types, PIETAS and TRANQ, Strack 227 (Vatican) and 228 (Sofia).

That this was an early variant is proved by an unpublished denarius in my own collection, coupling the long legend without HADR with the Tranquillitas reverse type, but without TRANQ in exergue and with the goddess holding her wheat ears slightly upwards rather than downwards as usual. Both of these features, no TRANQ and wheat ears held upwards, also occur in the very earliest appearance of the Tranquillitas type, namely still with the short obverse legend ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XIIII, rev. legend just COS IIII, Strack 223 (Budapest, Sofia), illustrated on his pl. III.

Nor was the long obverse legend without HADR confined to denarii: Lanz 128, 2006, lot 453 offered a hitherto unpublished sestertius with this legend, rev. ROMA in exergue, TR POT XIIII - COS IIII around, S - C across field, see picture below!
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:41:30 pm »
Curtis,
Thank you for your answer. My coin is in good company with the rest of the series however short-lived that was. I will read your article on Hadrian's temple in the tranquil surroundings of our favorite spot in the south of France where we shall go to this weekend.
Being now a somewhat matured collector, I am still surprised at the huge amount of numismatic discoveries still to be made! With your comments on my discoveries, I am well aided on the way to understanding a tiny bit of numismatic history.

Regards,

Frans

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:30:47 pm »
Hi!

This topic was posted in very long ago the last time.

I would like to add another Pius TR POT XIIII denarius where HADR is missing. This is MD find - the condition of the coin is very poor, it looks as it was in circulation  for dozens of years before it was lost.   Although, it could be an ancient cast, given font's shape and style... Regardless, it is official mint or ancient cast,  I was surprised it got such rare legend type.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:20 am »
I see no reason why it should not be official; I have a similar specimen in my collection. It is Roman Silver Coins 583 and Strack 226, who knew examples in Paris and Sofia.
Nice find and thanks for posting!

Frans

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 04:32:14 pm »
Hi!

I would like to add one more Pius' TR POT XIIII with missing HADR on ob, my new arrival. According to Reka Devnia there was only 1 specimen of TRANQ TR POT XIIII COS IIII with missing HADR on ob.  vis-a-vis 78 common variants.  

Cheers,

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »
Hi!

Here is another one with Pietas. I guess this is the last one from this group where HADR is missing on the obverse - all variants can be seen now in this thread. This one came in totally covered with black thick layer of resin as if it was burn with something - only silver mark on rev was seen, probably left by a spade. I did not have much luck to clean it well - those remained black stains are very tough...I was told that may be soaking in olive oil for half a year could help - and those oxidized carbon-organic stains can be removed.

Frans, thank you for starting this topic - it was an interesting task to seek for such rarities:).

Ob: IMP CAES T AEL ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P : head right, laur
Rev : PIETAS / TR POT XIIII COS IIII :

18mm - 2,9g - 180'

RIC 201 var, Cohen 616 var., RSC 616a

thank you for your time,

Z.   

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 05:58:28 pm »
"I was told that may be soaking in olive oil for half a year could help "
Try concentrated lemon juice and a soft brush. Check it frequently.
PeteB

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 06:51:10 pm »
Frans, thank you for starting this topic
Well, thank you for partaking in it!

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 07:12:17 pm »
In the meantime I made the pleasant discovery that I actually purchased the Lanz sestertius with the short obv. legend that I showed above; I had forgotten!

It would be nice to find this legend on a few other bronzes too: on sestertii with different reverse types, and maybe on a couple of dupondii and asses!
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:50 pm »
"I was told that may be soaking in olive oil for half a year could help "
Try concentrated lemon juice and a soft brush. Check it frequently.
PeteB

Hi Pete!

Just for the record, I did not manage to clean this one in lemon juice...although lemon juice helped me with another dirty coin with a bit softer deposits! - thank you for revealing new method, as I used to apply baking soda only ...

In the meantime I made the pleasant discovery that I actually purchased the Lanz sestertius with the short obv. legend that I showed above; I had forgotten!

It would be nice to find this legend on a few other bronzes too: on sestertii with different reverse types, and maybe on a couple of dupondii and asses!

Hi Curtis,

Congrats with you discovery!...bronzes are beyond my reach, so that all new bronzes of this issue in the world are yours and Frans's!:)...

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 05:03:13 pm »
Hi!

I found another PAX  denarius of this elusive no-HADR issue.  It is in a poor condition, but stiill it is a bit better than my previous PAX of this type.  So. I  got a kind of  ugrade:)... but it is still a long way ahead to match with Frans's perfect PAX denarius which opened this thread.

Below are the pics of new PAX denarius, and the pic of all three denarii of this stange, but well explained by Curtis issue together - Tranquilitas, Pax and Pietas.

Cheers,

Z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity