Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is it a fouree?  (Read 419 times)

Offline miffy

• Praetorian
Is it a fouree?
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:46 am »
Recently, I bought a Pasa denarius.

I love this coin, but now I am doubting this coin may be a fouree.

Rev. side, there is small metal drop in 10 o'clock direction.
I can not image that was naturally(?) made in common ancient coin making process.
So, I guess that is a trace of hiding something wrong.
Maybe copper core...etc.

How do you think about my guessing?

P.S. English is my third language. So, I am not good at that.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Is it a fouree?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:40 am »
I think it is fine, I do not think it is plated. The blob on the reverse could either be a die flaw, or an encrustation. There are a few small corroded areas near the coin edges from which you can see it is solid silver. Otherwise the surfaces are very good. In particular you can see very fine striations on the surface that are typical of official mint dies when struck on solid silver. If it had been plated the surface would probably have been a little wavy and more reflective which is what happens when you strike on a foil covered surface. There is no evidence of plating cracks or of the edge of the foil. So I think that it is not plated, and in fact it is a very beautiful coin. It would have been helpful if you also told us the weight of the coin.

Offline miffy

• Praetorian
Re: Is it a fouree?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 07:20:36 am »
Dear Andrew.
Thank you very much for your kind opinion.
That is 3.66g.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity