Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: GLORIA EXERCITVS with, uh, half the man he used to be  (Read 835 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
GLORIA EXERCITVS with, uh, half the man he used to be
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:17:54 pm »
Not mine, but I thought it was bizarre.  How on earth would this happen?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: GLORIA EXERCITVS with, uh, half the man he used to be
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »
Probably a doublestrike on the left-hand 1/3 of the reverse. Note weakness of GLOR.
Curtis Clay

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 01:32:18 pm »
Probably a doublestrike on the left-hand 1/3 of the reverse. Note weakness of GLOR.

Okay, yeah - I see two spears there.  I'm intrigued that the cut-off between strike areas would be so clear.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 11:03:44 am »
Maybe it meant that part of Constantine's army was suffering serious manpower shortages.   ;D

It is a fascinating example.  Especially as you say with the "clean-cut" look to the missing face and upper body.  Meanwhile the obverse portrait is quite nice.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:38:27 pm »
It most certainly is a double strike! The soldier not only lost face, but also a foot or a whole leg. Through 'GLOR' we see the vertical line of the first strike spear.

Nice!!

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity