Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Seal, Cornelius Hagiou?  (Read 746 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Seal, Cornelius Hagiou?
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »
Hi.  Here is a lead seal with Greek inscription.  The obverse reads  :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2:.  On the reverse I can make out 4 letters, which I think are
 :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2:.  Could this be related to the word Hagia (Holy)?  Any ideas on date and meaning would be appreciated.  I have two of these from Caesarea with identical inscriptions, but pressed from different dies.

Thanks, V-drome

Lead Seal
Late Roman to Early Byz?
Obv: ΚΟΡ/ΝΗΛ/ΙΟΥ
Greek inscription in 3 lines,
“of Cornelius”.
Rev: ??ΑΓ/ΙΟΥ
Greek inscription in 2  lines.
19x17mm. 8.79gm. Axis:0

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Lead Seal, Cornelius Hagiou?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:59:00 am »
I also read 'korneliou', which is an uncommon name on Byzantine seals because it is Latin. I can't make sense of the reverse. It would be expected to record Cornelius' office. Of course 'Hagios' translates 'Saint', which wouldn't make sense as a reverse legend. Is there a first line possible, for Notariou?
Regards
Gert

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Lead Seal, Cornelius Hagiou?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:09 am »
Hi, Gert.  Here is the other seal for comparison.  It is hard to see how there would be room for more than one or two letters at the top, if any.  Also, in hand, I am still fairly sure the the second letter is a Gamma.  I think the epigraphy on the obverse of this seal is very nice.
Thanks, again, Jimi

19x17mm. 6.87gm. Axis:0

All coins are guaranteed for eternity