Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with provincial - presumed Petra  (Read 373 times)

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
Help with provincial - presumed Petra
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
Hello Board,
     I'm looking for your thoughts on this provincial which I presume if from Petra.

22 mm  8.52 g

OBV - Draped and Diademed bust of Empress? right - ON? AVT(G?) 9-12  MA? 1-2

REV- Tyche seated left on outcropping of rocks holding stele and trophy - MHTROPOLIC 6-12

I'm assuming it is an empress on the obverse, but I can't make sense of the legend.  It could be a male bust, but I have not found a similar style.  The bust reminds me of Otacillia Severa, but again, I have not found anything similar.  As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

Offline jgad

• Caesar
Re: Help with provincial - presumed Petra
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:32 am »
Hi kurt...

stumbled on this one.  I think your presumption is right...petra.  Looks like a match for elagabalus:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=653511&AucID=1199&Lot=23521&Val=520554a9561445a0c9ce997b12ee4ec3

- Javier

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
Javier,
    Excellent find.  The obverse certainly very close if not a die match.  It is interesting that the portrait is decently executed but the legend is not.  The reverse on mine would seem to be more of an official product in my opinion versus the rather crude rendering on the example you provided.  This would also fit my initial reading of AVT M AP for the obverse legend, but an odd starting point at 10:00.  Thanks again Javier!

Kurt

Offline Kurt E

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:44:53 pm »
Any thoughts on whether Caracalla would be more likely given the Greek legends?

Kurt

All coins are guaranteed for eternity