Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elagabalus-Marcianopolis-Concordia?  (Read 275 times)

gwestcot

Elagabalus-Marcianopolis-Concordia?
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »
This is the last of the lot of 35 provincials that I recently bought and I am pretty excited to have the lot almost finished. I hope I have the majority of the attribution correct but I simply need to top it off with a reference number. The obverse depicts the busts of Elagabalus and Julia Maesa and the legend reads AVTKMAVPANTWNEINOCAVGIOVLIACOV***IC. The reverse depicts concordia holding a patera and a cornucopia with an E in the left field. The legible part of the reverse legend reads VP-CELEVKOVMAPKIANOPOLITWN. The coin is 28 mm in diameter and weighs 12.86 grams. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Elagabalus-Marcianopolis-Concordia?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:59 pm »

This die paring is not listed in H&J Marcianopolis. The obverse looks like a match to 6.28.36.5, but with a different reverse die, which does not appear to be one of those shown.

Jochen is collecting Marcianopolis coins also in a thread. [Correction whitetd49 was collecting Marcianopolis dies, in a thread on the Provincials page.]

c.rhodes

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:43:30 am »
Elagabal & Julia Soemias, AD 218-222
obv. AVT K M AVR ANTWNEINOC AVG IOVLIA COVAIMIC
       laureate head of Elagabal r. and bust of Julia Soemias, draped, l.
rev. [VP I(OV)L ANT] CELEVK(OV) M(AR)KIANOPOLIT(WN)
      Concordia in long garment and mantle, stg. l., holding cornucopiae in l. arm and in    
      extended r. hand patera
ref. a) not in AMNG
      b) not in Varbanov (engl.)
      c) Hristova/Jekov (2013) 6.27.36.2
      d) not in Pfeiffer (2013)

Best regards

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:09:56 am »

I looked under the wrong Julia and my version - 2007 does not even have a 6.27.36.. Time to get the latest version!!

c.rhodes

gwestcot

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:29 pm »
Thank you for the help once again. I figured that the end of the legend on the obverse and the hair did not match Julia Maesa but I couldn't find any example of Julia Soemias so I assumed it had to be Julia Maesa.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity