Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximinus I-Anchialus  (Read 274 times)

gwestcot

Maximinus I-Anchialus
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:07:27 pm »
The coin is 28 mm in diameter and weighs 12.43 grams. The reverse depicts a goddess with a scepter in the right hand and the left hand raised up in the air. The obverse is a bust of Maximinus I. The reverse legend reads OVLPIANW-N-AGXIALEWN and the legible part of the obverse legend reads AYTMAXIMINO. It seems to be minted in Anchialus but I can't find a match on any of the major online databases. I am having trouble finishing the attribution and any help on the goddess or a reference number would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Maximinus I-Anchialus
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:41:40 pm »
obv. AVT MAXIMINOC [EVCEB AVG]
        Bust, draped and cuirassed, laureate, r.
rev. OVLPIANWN - AGXIALEWN   
       Serapis stg. l., r. hand raised, holding sceptre
ref. a) not in AMNG II
      b) Varbanov (engl.) 575

I think it should be read MAXIMINOC not MAXIMEINOC.

Best regards

gwestcot

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »
Thanks for the assist. I really need to buy Varbanov so that attribution of these Greek Provincials becomes a little easier. Right now all I have is the 10 volumes of RIC.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »
RIC is good only for Roman Imperial Coins. Varbanov is good for Roman Provincial coins of Thrace. But there are monographies for nearly each city too. For Nikopolis and Marcianopolis is needed AMNG I. Hristova-Hoeft-Jekov (I'm co-author) is the most comprehensive catalog for Nikopolis and so is Hristova/Jekov for Markianopolis.

Best regards

gwestcot

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »
Ya that is why I usually stick try to stick to imperials but my eyes have been gravitating to Greek provincials of late. It seems that building up the library is almost as expensive as buying the coins. lol

All coins are guaranteed for eternity