Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian III and Tranquillina-Anchialus-Victory?  (Read 201 times)

gwestcot

Gordian III and Tranquillina-Anchialus-Victory?
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
The coin is 28 mm in diameter and weighs 14.51 grams. The reverse depicts a winged goddess that I suspect to be victory and the obverse has the busts of Gordian III and Tranquillina. The coin appears to me to be minted in Anchialus. The reverse legend reads OVLPIAN **AIXIALEVN and the legible part of the obverse reads AVTIMANGOPDLANOC. I am struggling with finding a match for this one so I will greatly appreciate any information that will help me fully attribute this coin.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Gordian III and Tranquillina-Anchialus-Victory?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:44 am »

As the legend is in Greek, she is called Nike.
Varbanov 773.

Pekka K

gwestcot

Re: Gordian III and Tranquillina-Anchialus-Victory?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:09:45 pm »
Thanks for the help once again Pekka. I usually only refer to the greek name on greek coins. With your tip, I also came up with a match on acsearch.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity