Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange portrait of Hadrian  (Read 267 times)

Offline Odoacer

• Consul
Strange portrait of Hadrian
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »
Dear list,

Can you help me to identify this coin of Hadrian. Is it barbaric, looking at the strange portrait of Hadrian? The reverse looks to be double struck, but you can see 5 stars (one beneath) en Cos III. The seize is 20 mm and the weight is 3,28 gr.

Thanx a lot!
Best regards Jeroen

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Strange portrait of Hadrian
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »
Probably Eastern, though I don't find this exact obv. die illustrated by Strack.

Your coin is a variety of Strack *49, 3 spec., all illustrated on pl. XIX, where the five stars on rev. are arranged

and where the legend COS - III adjoins the cresent only, without the S on left and the first I on right extending above the crescent into the stars.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity