Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The waterfalls of Edessa on a provincial coin of Caracalla  (Read 1292 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The waterfalls of Edessa on a provincial coin of Caracalla
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »
Edessa in Macedonia has a fairly monotonous provincial coinage: the main reverse type, repeated for emperor after emperor, was Roma seated left, crowned by Edessa standing behind her, as for example on the coin of Severus Alexander shown below.

For Edessa's coinage see Varbanov III, pp. 410-435, but beware that Varbanov's introduction to the city, on p. 410, applies not to Edessa in Macedonia as intended, but rather to Edessa in Mesopotamia! We read there, for example, that Seleucus I renamed the city Edessa in memory of the Macedonian city of that name (the city that the text should actually be treating!), and that "On the foundation of the Kingdom of Osrhoene, Edessa became the capital under the Abgar dynasty", which lasted from 132 BC to AD 244, interrupted by Trajan's occupation of Edessa from 115-117 AD!

Anyway, a coin of young Caracalla Augustus at the Macedonian Edessa, sold in CNG E96, 18 August 2004, lot 97, brought a remarkable addition to that city's limited repertoire of reverse types: see the second coin illustrated below, described by the CNG cataloguer as follows:

"MACEDON, Edessa. Caracalla. 198-217 AD. Æ 26mm (15.13 gm). Laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind / Female goddess standing facing, head left, raising drapery with both hands; small goat(?) left; pyramidal shaped columns to either side, river gods reclining on top. Papaefthymiou - (D1/R-); BMC Macedon -; SNG ANS -; SNG Copenhagen -; Varbanov -. Unpublished reverse type from this city."

The ethnic is clear, starting at 11 o'clock (EΔ - ECC - [AI] - ΩN), and the attribution to Edessa is confirmed, as the CNG cataloguer noted, by an obverse die link to two other coins of that city with reverse Temple of Dionysus, obv. die D1 in Papaefthymiou's corpus of Edessa's coinage, pp. 57-8 and pl. 5.

Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: The waterfalls of Edessa on a provincial coin of Caracalla
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »
A second, less well preserved specimen of the same coin of Caracalla at Edessa, from the same die pair, was recently sold by London Ancient Coins, e-auction L, 26 March 2014, lot 104: see picture below. Their cataloguer cited the CNG specimen, which can be found in CoinArchives Pro as well as CNG's Research database, and he or she also took over CNG's description of the reverse type.

Having acquired this second coin, I was puzzled by the details of the reverse type. Small figures of deities on columns appear quite often in the background of reverse types of Roman imperial and provincial coins, but it seemed odd (a) to have two deities on columns, (b) that the deities were reclining, an uncomfortable and precarious posture for a figure on top of a column, and (c) that the columns had converging sides ("pyramidal shaped") rather than parallel sides. Maybe these "columns" were actually waterfalls, fitting with the placement of reclining river gods at their summits?

Bingo! Edessa is situated where a river flows out of the mountains onto the Macedonian plain, and the city has numerous waterfalls! Below, from the city's current website, are pictures of Edessa's two principal waterfalls as they exist today, the first one a single and the second one a double waterfall. These may be the identical waterfalls depicted on the coin: note that the waterfall on the left has only a single stream of water, slanting slightly to the right as it descends, while the waterfall on the right has two streams, one slanting slightly left and the other slightly right! The standing deity pulling her drapery over her head (to protect herself from the spray?) will be the city goddess, accompanied by the city's animal, the goat, as on other coins too, for example the one of Severus Alexander that I show in my last post. That Edessa had a prominent waterfall was mentioned by the second-century sophist Aelius Aristides: " I lay ill in Edessa close to the waterfall, and with difficulty reached Rome twenty days after leaving home."

I wonder if there are other ancient coins depicting waterfalls, but don't seem to have any books in my library where I could easily look that up!
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:11:04 am »
What a lovely place!  I know of the town but never quite to to visiting it.  Pat L.

Offline Satyrus

• Consul
    • http://vitahistoria.blogspot.ro/
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:33:34 am »
Very beautiful story, very beautiful coin. Congratulations!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:30:33 pm »
Hi Curtis,

That's an interesting and "different" coin. Some of the reverse scenes on Roman Provincial coins are fascinating. I find them much more interesting and fascinating than Roman Imperial coins. Many of them are full of history. People can learn so much about local customs, deities, structures, and even natural beauty - just from studying them.

This coin reminds me somewhat of the Spain, Emerita, Augustus AE coins that contain references to the Guadiana River flowing into the city.

Meepzorp

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:19 pm »
Wonderful!

Jochen

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:26:39 am »
Very interesting, great detective work Mr Clay!

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:56 am »
Thank you for showing this fascinating coin!

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »
Thanks for the enlightenment and background Curtis. I already stumbled on the CNG type while searching for a reference of my coin:

Same obverse dies - but (-arghh-) wrong reverse type;)

struck ca. 198-210 AD. (?)
Æ27 (ø 26-27 mm / 10,32 g), bronze, axes medal alignment ↑↑ (ca. 0°),
Obv.: AV K M [AVP AN - TO]NЄINOC , laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust facing right, seen from back.
Rev.: …]ΔЄC[... , Roma seated left on cuirass; holding Nike and parazonium; crowned by Tyche Edessa standing behind her left, holding scepter in her left.

On the Moushmov-Edessa page is the same obverse. So i was able to complete the obverse legend.

regards

:)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity