Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek coin, Turreted portrait on OBV, standing (winged?) figure on REV  (Read 423 times)

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
13-14mm in diameter

I have several coins with "turreted" portraits similar to this one, I'm not sure if they're all from the same city or if it was just a relatively common ancient motif.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
It's a common ancient motif, often used to portray the local "city god" or an overall representation of city gods.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
My guess would be a civic coin from Apameia in Syria.

tomeckk

i also have a poor copy of this (?) coin, still unidentified

Offline Platon

• Consul
  • To show the fly the way out of the fly-bottle.
That is remarkable, it looks like the same coin! +++

Who can tackle this mystery?

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Most similar sold in CNG:

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Laodicea ad Mare. Pseudo-autonomous issue. Time of Domitian, AD 81-96. Æ (13mm, 1.67 g, 12h). Dated CY 132 (AD 84/5). Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right / Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm; BΛP (date) to right. RPC II 2033 (same dies as illustration); SNG Hunterian 3183 = Hunterian III p. 223, 5, pl. LXXV, 9 (Uncertain Syria; same obv. die). VF, dark green patina, deposits. Rare - two known to the authors of RPC (both in the Bibliothèque Nationale).

tomeckk

th, so far the best idea

All coins are guaranteed for eternity