Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Seal with Bear and Monogram  (Read 852 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Seal with Bear and Monogram
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:45:44 pm »
Hi.  Here is an unusual seal with a complicated monogram and a bear walking left.  I found something very similar
on-line but with a different Monogram.  They said it might belong to a "venator" or a "bear-keeper for the games".

Lead Seal BCC Ls17
Uncertain date
Obv: Bear walking left, branch above,
uncertain object in front.
Rev: Block monogram with K, E, Y?, OU, C?, M?, N?, A?, Π?, or P?
23x19mm. 8.58gm. Axis:0

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Lead Seal with Bear and Monogram
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:55:55 am »
 :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Stigma:, a huntsman, might fit?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Lead Seal with Bear and Monogram
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:29 am »
Hi Jimi,
That is a very nice seal you are showing, with an extremely rare image of a bear. Next to the seal you mention and one in Zacos/Veglery, I haven't seen any. This block monogram is a perfect example of the reason that cruciform monograms gained popularity during the 6th and 7th centuries, eventually replacing block monograms. The monogram on your seal is open to too many possible readings, and I think it is impossible to solve. Consider the Pi-Chi at the center, yielding L, M, N and X, but not necessarily so.

The letter to left is P, on top there's K and OV ligate. It probably incorporates the seal owner's name and office/dignity. So if the owner was Eparch, for example, his personal name would have K and any other letter in the monogram.

As to this seal belonging to a venator or a beast keeper, I very much doubt that. Byzantine seals usually belong to the upper strata of Byzantine military, bureaucracy and clergy.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity