Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE19 Dionysus?  (Read 330 times)

gwestcot

AE19 Dionysus?
« on: April 11, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
The coin is 19 mm in diameter and weighs 3.44 grams. The reverse appears to be Dionysus and my best guess is that it is a greek provincial coin(Assarion?). I can not tell which emperor is on the obverse. Any hints or help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: AE19 Dionysus?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 05:20:37 pm »
I can read NEA on obv. So it is Faustina jun. for sure. May be from Philippopolis.

Best regards

gwestcot

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
Ya I thought it looked feminine to me and the style seems to match some of the other Faustina II provincials I have... It definitely is from Philippopolis but I can't find anything to match in this size on wildwinds, acsearch, and vcoins. It could be Apollo instead of Dionysus? It is hard to make out the full legend though.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:43:05 pm »
For Philippopolis I have only Varbanov. And he has listed as deities
- Aphrodite
- Apollo
- Athena
- Demeter
- Dionysos
- Genius
- Hera
- Homonoia
- Nemesis

Best regards

gwestcot

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »
Ok with that I will try my best. Thanks for the help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity