Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknow trachy to ID  (Read 664 times)

Offline jgad

• Caesar
Unknow trachy to ID
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:04:26 pm »
This coin was in a large group I recently purchased.  Do not yet have in hand so no dimension data available.  The obverse is a hot mess but the reverse is very nice with the figure wearing very distinctive robes.  Can anyone identify this coin with only the pic to go on?

- javier

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Unknow trachy to ID
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
Hmm ... looks like a brockage of Hendy Type B (SBCV 2022). Either that or we have just discovered a previously unknown left-handed Byzantine emperor, who also drapes his chlamys over the wrong shoulder. Or is it possible (since you don't have the coin in hand) that somehow the photos got horizontally flipped?

Bill R.

Offline jgad

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:56 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Bill.  Why would the "reverse" brockage image be so much cleaner and clearer than the strike?

- Javier

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:42 pm »
Hi Javier,

I've no idea how a brockage would even work with a trachy. Never seen one before, if this is one. I've amended my first post to include the suggestion that somehow maybe the photo got muddled.

Bill R.

Offline jgad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:40:38 pm »
Bill...

somehow I didn't see the entirety of your reply.  I do not have the coin in hand and its entirely possible the image has been flipped.  Assuming the image has been flipped (ochams razor and all that) then who is the probable emperor?

- Javier

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:49:28 pm »
If it's flipped, i.e. just a normal SBCV 2022, then it dates from the Latin occupation of Constantinople following the Fourth Crusade. Though the legend (if you could read it) would be appropriate for Manuel I Comnenus:   :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda:   :Greek_Delta: :Greek_epsilon: :C: :Greek_Pi_3: or similar.

Bill R.

Offline jgad

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:35 pm »
Thanks Bill!

If it turns out the coin is representing a left handed emperor I will repost with dimensions....

- Javier

All coins are guaranteed for eternity