Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Grant R before  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Grant R

• Legionary
Grant R before
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:30:12 am »
Hi All - first coins ever

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Grant R before
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:49 pm »
Hi Grant, and Welcome!!

You have a nice mix of coins there... and some interesting ones by the look of it!!

Patience is a virtue here, but I think you have a promising mix of coins.. The very best of luck to you Sir!!

Lee.    +++ ;D +++

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
That's a nice batch, Grant, and I think they should clean up nicely!

Nick

Offline Grant R

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:02 am »
Thanks Guys. Is this the right forum to ask for advice? I've soaked in DW and brushed with toothbrush - the 2 top left coins are silver in appearance (but not silver coins if you know what I mean) they have green, almost crystalline deposits. Not like other green patina I have seen. Joe says "if it starts green, it should stay green" but is this likely to be BD?  If so, how should I progress it?

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:44:25 am »
Thanks Guys. Is this the right forum to ask for advice? I've soaked in DW and brushed with toothbrush - the 2 top left coins are silver in appearance (but not silver coins if you know what I mean) they have green, almost crystalline deposits. Not like other green patina I have seen. Joe says "if it starts green, it should stay green" but is this likely to be BD?  If so, how should I progress it?

Your first coin may have BD, the lighter green patch looks like it might be, probe with a toothpick, if it is powdery then you will need to treat it, ( at some point! ) .
  I believe that BD treatment trumps patina preservation, after all, there is a chance that all you might be left with is a pile of green powder, so either buy yourself some form of BD cure, or you can try cleaning the coin first, then drying it out thoroughly and keeping an eye to see if the BD is active or not... sometimes it stays dormant, and is not a problem.

As for the harder, darker green stuff, this is natural patina caused by the reaction of the copper in the coin and wherever it spent the last 1000 years or so...
  You might find this very hard indeed, so try and only remove any that needs to be removed, ( using a dental pick or sharpened steel welding rod ) but anything sitting on top you can attack quite vigorously without fear..

Good luck once more!!!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:30 am »

I do not think it is likely, as BD is generally much brighter. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity