Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: VIRT EXERC ancient imitation?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
VIRT EXERC ancient imitation?
« on: April 07, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »
I am posting this coin on behalf of someone else (i.e. I do not own the coin but am helping identify it)

This is obviously a Constantine I obverse, with the clearly legible (not barbarous or blundered) legend CONSTANTI-[...]

The reverse is WEIRD. The only coin I can find with a cross like this is the VIRT EXERC type, with Sol standing on a big X that I normally see interpreted as some kind of plan for a Roman camp.

On this coin the reverse legend is really blundered, it reads something like [...] -  :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Lambda: :A2:, and the exergue seems like it reads  :Greek_Tau: :S: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Lambda:.

This is the best images available. The weight is not known.
The diameter is given as 13/16 inch or 20-21 mm.

The coin was reportedly bought uncleaned, soaked in olive oil for three weeks, then treated with baking soda for several minutes. As far as it is know, it's not a modern forgery.

Any input very appreciated.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: VIRT EXERC ancient imitation?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:37:27 pm »
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:07:14 pm »
Weird - either the guy I'm talking to is lying and it wasn't from an uncleaned lot, or someone is taking these fantasy coins, dirtying them convincingly, then throwing them into uncleaned lots.

Thanks for the link. I'll let him know.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:49:11 am »
Before you accuse him of lying, the latter is not unusual. Google 'uncleaned fakes' for another batch of cheap fakes salted into lots of uncleaned coins. This is just as common as dealers throwing fakes into junk boxes. This is not the norm but happens sometimes.
Andreas Reich

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
or this "uncleaned lot" was just random coins that someone accumulated until they eventually sold them as a lot. Not every uncleaned lot consists of coins that came from some recently uncovered hoard. I have sold lots in this manner, a single coin from here and there, until I have a "lot" of them!
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:59:47 pm »
Both are great possibilities. The guy was glad to get the info and I didn't accuse him of lying, I just presented the image to the website where he could see the exact same coin with the same colors and all. He seemed to accept the fact that he'd just gotten a fake somehow.

Thanks for the info, both of you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity