Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Metrology  (Read 776 times)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Bronze Metrology
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:14 pm »
I am looking for literature discussing the weights and sizes of Roman bronze denominations during the early first century CE (c. Augustus - Gaius).   In particular, I would be interested in the weights of dupondii, asses, semis and quadrans

I looked at the brief metrological section RPC 1, but the data is not quite thorough enough.  Is anyone aware of any literature that discusses the weights?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Tim v

Re: Bronze Metrology
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:02:10 am »
This guy gives some indications on certain denominations. Not sure as to how correct this is though...

You should avoid bidding on examples which fall outside their range - do not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Athens  Athena/owl tetradrachms 16.5-17.25g

Athens new style tets 16.5-17g   (tet = tetradrachm)

Macedon Philip II tets 13.5-14.5g

Alexander the Great tets 16-17.3g

Lysimachos tets 16-17.3g

Seleukid/Baktrian/Indo-Greek tets  3rd-2nd c. BC 16-17.25g (Attic standard)

Seleukid tets 1st c. BC 15.5-16g (Attic standard)

Baktrian/Indo-Greek tets 1st c. BC 9-10g

Ptolemaic/Seleukid tets (Phoenician standard) 13.5-15.5g

Kyme/Myrina tets 16-17g

Syro-Phoenician tets: 1st c.AD 13.5-15.25g    2nd c.AD 13-15g   3rd c. AD 11-14g

Sestertius 1st c.AD 22-30g    2nd c.AD 17-28g    3rd c.AD 15-26g

Denarius  Republic 3.5-4g    Augustus-100AD 3-4g    2nd c.AD 2.5-3.5g    3rd c.AD. 2.3-3.5g

Antoninianus  Early-mid 3rd c. AD 4-5.5g    After 250AD 2-5g

Aureus 1st-early 3rd c.AD 7-8g    Mid 3rd c.AD 5-7g    Late 3rd c.AD 4.5-5.5g

Solidus  4th-5th c.AD  4-4.5g

maximinvs

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:12 pm »
For the first century bronze:
1) Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum, Volume 1, Augustus to Vitellius (BMCRE), has tables with the average weights of the specimens in the BM for each of the denominations.

2) Roman Imperial Coinage Vol 1, Augustus to Vitellius, 2nd edition, 1984,  (RIC) also provides weights as ranges. There is a very brief summary, as well as weight ranges within the catalogue itself.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:33:07 pm »
Thanks very much, that is quite helpful.

I noticed your comment from BMCRE (lvi).  Is the average semis weight under Tiberius actually the average quadrans weight?
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

maximinvs

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
My note merely highlights that the quadrans in the BMCRE catalog appear as semis in the metrology table. Their weights suggest quadrans, but whether these particular specimens were struck in orichalcum or copper I can't tell. Carson in RIC was certainly convinced that quadrans were struck (RIC32), giving an average weight of 3.5g. I could find no photos unfortunately.

Carson also lists a larger AE2 denomination (RIC31) just like this one:
https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=109031
The weight is consistent with semis struck at Lyon under Augustus (i.e. around 4.5g) and, from the wear on the high points, it appears to be brass too. Looks like a semis to me.

So what I deduce from this is that both semis and quadrans were issued under Tiberius, albeit in small numbers.

Regards,
Ian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity