Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander, Hierokaisareia (Hierakome), Lydia, AE18, Tyche-Fortuna  (Read 957 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Severus Alexander, 13 March 222 - March 235 A.D., Hierokaisareia (Hierakome), Lydia

RP68063. Bronze AE 18, SNG Cop -, SNGvA -, SNG München -, SNG Tübingen -, SNG Turkey -, SNG Hunterian -, SNG Leypold -, SNG Righetti -, BMC Lydia -, Lindgren -, gVF, weight 3.758 g, maximum diameter 18.2 mm, die axis 180o, Hierokaisareia mint, obverse AY(T?) AΛEΞ−AN∆POC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind; reverse IEPOKAICAPE, Tyche-Fortuna standing facing, head left, kalathos on head, rudder on globe held by tiller in right, cornucopia in left

Since I cannot find anything similar, I am concerned that I either have the emperor or the city wrong. Anyone have a correction or better attribution?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dear Joe,

Your attribution looks correct to me.  Most likely an unpublished type according to my research, although Dane Kurth would know better.  There are coins known of Hierocaesarea for Orbiana, so it only seems natural to expect others minted for her husband.  

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan  

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks Mark.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar

Found nothing in my references, but Head states that coins under the Roman Empire range from the time of Nero to the time of Severus Alexander. Interestingly, your may be the first attributed to the Emperor himself, the others being for Orbiana!

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity