Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How do I clean my Roman Silver Coin?  (Read 1969 times)

mrperson101

How do I clean my Roman Silver Coin?
« on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:59 am »
Hello viewers, I am new to this hobby and I really would like some help with my problem thanks.
I have a roman silver coin that is very heavily encrusted with a green patina. Few details are visible, I want to be able to see the legend and details so I can identify the coin, but I am not sure how to do this without damaging the patina, and the coins historic value.
How do I clean my coin properly without damaging it in any way?

The attached pictures are not high quality, and more details are visible on the actual coin but they are the best I could get, sorry. The actual coin has some flaking in the patina, this is because was too rough to it to begin with.

Thank for your time :)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: How do I clean my Roman Silver Coin?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 09:14:00 am »
If this was silver, cleaning would be easy but it looks like a plated bronze core of an ancient forgery where most of the silver plating is gone. Maybe even a fake 'serratus' (Rebublican denarius with serrated edges), judging by the edges. This coin looks like it has been in oil for a while, which is never a good idea.
Andreas Reich

mrperson101

Re: How do I clean my Roman Silver Coin?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:15:20 am »
Thank you very much for that information. Is there any safe way to tell for sure if the coin is a fourre? Also if it helps this coin was found at the roman forum in Rome on the ground. Thanks :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity