Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sestertius not listed in RIC  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
Sestertius not listed in RIC
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:11 am »

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
Re: Sestertius not listed in RIC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:09 am »
Have anyone met that coin? I post new images.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »
Unknown to me. Not in BMC. Unfortunately Strack's comprehensive catalogue of the coins of Marcus and Verus was never published.

Mint mules combining dies of different personages are generally quite rare during the early and middle Roman empire. As to sestertii, I think it would be hard to name more than about five such muled sestertii during the entire history of the denomination!
Curtis Clay

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:30 pm »
Thanks for respond . So have I someting extremly rare?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:27:44 pm »
I think it is safe to say yes :)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
I know this coin, because I was the second bidder. :( I had hoped nobody would realize that the coin, despite its ugly corrosions, is a genuine mint hybrid. What was your bid, if I may ask?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »
Can you tell if the obverse bust is cuirassed only, or draped and cuirassed, or something else?

As to rarity, certainly very rare, but not particularly valuable, because the condition is poor, and because rarity matters comparatively little in determining the price of an ancient coin.
Curtis Clay

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:37 am »
it seems to me that the bust is cuirassed. Unfortunetly corrosion makes it difficult to determine. I know that condition is poor and the coin is not particularly valuable, but probably worth the 64 euros that I paid for it?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:44 am »
I'd say it would still have been a good buy at twice that price, for a specialty collector either of Marcus Aurelius or of mint errors or of interesting rarities in general.
Curtis Clay

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:10 am »
Thank you for your feedback.I am pleased with the opportunity to purchase rare coin , especially when I have limited shopping opportunities.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:59 am »
Maciej, you were lucky that the coin was sold on Monday. On Saturday I had been to the Munich coin show, and on Sunday I had bought an Galerius / Faustina bronze for 330 Euros, so I felt I had to pull in my belt a little :(. Also, the sestertius started at 24 Euros and had no bids for a very long time. Oh well, you can't have it all... ;)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:21:33 am »
Well I have a bit luck. In last time I bought two hybrids and I collect roman coins for not a long time. Anyone have photos of similar  hybrids of sestertius?

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 04:59:40 am »
Hi folks,

When I saw the first 2 photos (the brassy look, etc.), I suspected that it may be a Paduan (Cavino) sestertius. They include many mules and fantasy pieces.

But this coin has been authenticated by several experts here (including Curtis), so I respect their opinions.

Meepzorp

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »
Anyone have photos of similar  hybrids of sestertius?

I can't provide photos, but here are descriptions of a few hybrid sestertii that I think are official:

Septimius Severus, IMP CAES L SEPT SEV PERT AVG, rev. of Clodius Albinus as Caesar, PROVID AVG COS, Providential standing l., in my collection.

Elagabalus, rev. of Julia Maesa, FECVNDITAS AVGVSTAE, Fecunditas seated, child standing before her. In British Museum, from my collection. Another from same dies in trade in London, I have plaster cast.

Philip I, rev. of Philip II, SAECVLARES AVGG, goat or elk walking left, in my collection.

Otacilia Severus, same reverse of Philip II as last coin, RIC 201. Not a great rarity: Roger Bland found six specimens in museum collections.

Trebonianus Gallus, reverse of Hostilian as Caesar, PRINC IVVENT, Apollo seated l. RIC 118 = Cohen 98 (Paris).

Curtis Clay

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:05 am »
Thank you for descriptions of this hybrids. Most of them are from III a.d. century  . I found a site with photos  of hybrids http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=hybrid+sesterc&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#9 .

Offline Maciej D

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 08:02:25 am »
The second TRP XIX L.Werus. This is the second hybrid in my collection, these rulers, and surprisingly the same year. Denarius is pretty nice but is it official release? What to sesterce there was no doubt ,but here obverse is draped bust in armor without rim and it fits with the RIC 515 164 IV.OA TRP .If I associate it TRP XIX (Aurelius) is year in which Verus had the TRP V. Would it be the difference of year between reverse and obverse? The importance of this oddity is 2.8g . I Hunted for something like this for some time and I gave the bear fever auction.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity