Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Most Happy Greetings" (?) Lead seal Latin check  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
"Most Happy Greetings" (?) Lead seal Latin check
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
This tiny (14mm) seal, which must date to approx. the 4th/5th century has a Latin legend

SAL
LVTI

FE[ LI ]
CISS
IMI

I think this legend addresses the receiver of the package to which this seal was attached with 'most happy greetings', but is that reading gramatically sound? Normally, the seal's owner's name is mentioned on seals, but I am hesitant to read the legend as [seal of] Sallutus, most happy.
Regards
Gert

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: "Most Happy Greetings" (?) Lead seal Latin check
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:18 pm »
The most natural translation of Saluti Felicissimi would be "To the well-being of Felicissimus", Felicissimus meaning "most fortunate" but also being a common Latin name.
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:06:59 am »
Thanks for the translation Curtis. But don't mind me asking if the more unnatural translation of 'salutis'-'greeting' is possible? That would make more sense as a legend on a seal.
Regards
Gert

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »
Gert,

You're probably thinking of salve (singular), salvete (plural): "Be in good health, hail, hello!" That is a verb, and cannot be modified. It could be followed by the name of the person greeted in the vocative case, for example "Salve, Felicissime!" = "Hello, Felicissimus!"

"Saluti" is the dative singular of the noun "Salus", meaning "health, well-being". If you were wishing someone well-being, there would have to be a verb expressing your wish, and Salus would be in the accusative case, "salutem".

So I don't think your suggestion "Most happy greetings!" is possible.
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:50:56 am »
Thanks again for the informative answer. Yes, I was wondering if something along the line of 'greeting' or 'greetings' would fit the legend. In the mean time, I am inclined to think that both sides have a name: Salluti being the genitive form of the name Sallutius, a variant spelling of Sallustius.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity