Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Victorinus Mule With SC Reverse  (Read 679 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Victorinus Mule With SC Reverse
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:00:10 am »
Back in the 3rd century somebody in Gaul or Britain made a Victorinus with a reverse from much earlier.

Felicitas is on the back, bracketed with SC like we're used to seeing on 2nd Century coins.  The most recent one I could find was for Septimius Severus, still many decades before.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=686537

Doesn't match very well, but at least it's a Felicitas with SC and a cornucopia.

Did this ever happen to antoniniani and I haven't noticed them yet?

The coin has other charms.  I like the emperor's portrait and the obverse inscription is unlisted.

Inscriptions
Obv: IMP C VICTORINVS
Rev: FELIC...A

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Victorinus Mule With SC Reverse
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
The style looks to wild to be official to me.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:54:35 am »
A radiate imitation which I suspect is muling a Victorinus obverse with a reverse carrying the field marks of a coin of Carausius who did issue coins with S/C field marks. I cannot see a reason why the reverse of a large bronze would be copied on a radite imitation.

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:16 am »
A radiate imitation which I suspect is muling a Victorinus obverse with a reverse carrying the field marks of a coin of Carausius who did issue coins with S/C field marks. I cannot see a reason why the reverse of a large bronze would be copied on a radite imitation.

Regards,

Adrianus

I'd be more inclined to accept Carausius too (especially since I believe the coin came from England), but I didn't know he had SC's.  The large bronzes are the closest to Victorinus that I knew about.  Here's a Carausius:

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/carausius/UKDFD_39383.jpg

Not a great match though.  Jupiter and not Felicitas, and the SC is on one side, but at least it's there.  The advantage of the Septimius Severuses is that the reverses match pretty well.

Are there other Carausius examples, Felicitas in particular, that have the SC?  Didn't see any on acsearch, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:30 pm »
Here we go.  It's a mule with Gallienus.  No caduceus, but it's Felicitas and has the S-C.

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/gallienus/RIC_0211[j].jpg

All coins are guaranteed for eternity