Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A possible german viking era coins needs a littel help?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
A possible german viking era coins needs a littel help?
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:48 am »
Hi all.

Well as the topic states, i think this may be an german coin, at first i thougt it was Danish silver coin, from a hoard found back in 1910 in the city of Grenaa. But after some serious searching in the old books and a hint from and old friend of mine i/ we think its from South of the border.  ;D. I hope some one may share some ligt of this fine littel coin.  :)

Silver. 0.85 grams 1,8 cm.

Any help is as always very appreciated

Kind regards Kim

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: A possible german viking era coins needs a littel help?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:22 am »
Maybe this one from our early Saxon emperors:

Germany, Otto III (980-1002 AD.), mint in or near Goslar in Saxony, ca. 983-1002 AD.,
("Otto-Adelheid-") Pfennig (ca. 17,5 mm / ca. 1,2 g), silver
Obv.: + DI GRA(T) REX, cross, in the quarters O - D - O - D .
Rev.: + ATEAHLHT , wooden church, dot in center, one dot at either side, one step below.

Adelheid (Empress Adelaide of Italy (931 – 16 December 999), also called Adelaide of Burgundy), was the second wife of Holy Roman Emperor Otto the Great and was crowned as the Holy Roman Empress with him by Pope John XII in Rome on February 2, 962. She was the daughter-in-law of St. Queen Matilda of East Francia.

Empress Adelaide was perhaps the most prominent European woman of the 10th century; she was regent of the Holy Roman Empire as the guardian of her grandson in 991-995.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_III,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

regards

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »
Hello Arminius

Love the historie behind this Otto III/Adelheid,  i was looking for pictures of his/her coins, and found a an Arminius homepage is it yours?  :)

Cheers Kim

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:02:05 pm »
Hello Arminius

Love the historie behind this Otto III/Adelheid,  i was looking for pictures of his/her coins, and found a an Arminius homepage is it yours?  :)

Cheers Kim

Yes - but my piece has experienced a lot and is not at mint state any more.

That´s not a rare coin. There are many on mc.search.info:

http://www.mcsearch.info/search.html?search=Otto+Adelheid&view_mode=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#0

:)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:01:29 pm »
Well thank God i am not collecting coins because i want to be rich, no i love the historie and the thought of what an coin like this could tell if us.   ;)

I just got 3 coins from Edward II I THINK? this night at my Coin Club. LOVE THEM!  ;D

Cheers Kim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity