Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Scarab set in a ring.  (Read 7193 times)

StrayCat

Scarab set in a ring.
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:57:01 pm »
Hi everyone.  I bought this ring in an Antique Shop in NZ about 15 years ago.  I was told it was part of a collection of jewellery acquired from a deceased estate and they had no other information.   The ring itself is hallmarked and is Egyptian silver but made after 1947.  NZ troops were in Egypt during that time so I'm guessing that one of them acquired a scarab and had it set into a ring for his wife or sweetheart and took it back to NZ with him.

Now the big question.  Is the scarab likely to be genuine or fake.  The scarab is about 1.8cm in length and 1.3cm wide.  A hole is drilled at both ends and seems to extend about 5 or 6mm at each end but doesnt appear to meet in the middle (I poked a paper clip into it).  There are very faint traces of a blue glaze on the underside of the wings at the rear but nowhere else that I can see.

I dont have a great camera but have posted some images that might help and I would be very grateful for any assistance anyone can offer.   :)

Offline Brig

• Auxiliary
Re: Scarab set in a ring.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:49 pm »
I know this is an old topic, but I noticed nobody has pointed out what, to me, seems fairly obvious.l Is it just me, or has that been drilled after being mounted in the ring? Looks like the medal edge that the scarab sits in has a partial hole precisely aligned with the hole of the scarab

Offline Roman_Egypt

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 09:28:19 pm »
Nice to see you here! You bring up a good point, the metal and the scarab together look like the hole could have been drilled when it was set in the ring. On another note I some scarabs were holed to be worn but the hole in the metal is interesting on this one.

I know this is an old topic, but I noticed nobody has pointed out what, to me, seems fairly obvious.l Is it just me, or has that been drilled after being mounted in the ring? Looks like the medal edge that the scarab sits in has a partial hole precisely aligned with the hole of the scarab

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:26:18 am »
     The setting is lovely; the scarab is a reproduction. Kindly note - when setting the scarab, the jeweler had to be very careful as not to chip the scarab. To make sure the scarab would not fall out of its setting, jewelers often crimped the bezel into the opening of the hole as an added safeguard to prevent loss of the scarab.

Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity