Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Retrofitted Victorian Slide Cabinet  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Retrofitted Victorian Slide Cabinet
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:10 pm »
I came across this cool mahogany Victorian microscope slide cabinet a few months ago.  I thought it had potential as a coin cabinet, so I contacted fellow FORVM member cmcdon (Craig McDonald) and he made some awesome new trays for it.  I have enclosed before and after shots.  Don't let my amateur in-office photo of the finished product fool you, it really looks great. 

Thanks, Craig!

Sosius
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Retrofitted Victorian Slide Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:15:13 pm »
Great idea, Sosius.  Now, show us how it looks filled with coins!  How many slide trays were in the original cabinet, and were you able to replace them with an equal number of coin trays (or did Craig need to use thicker trays to fit ancient coins)?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Retrofitted Victorian Slide Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:25:27 pm »
Let me jump in here if you don't mind Sosius....

The original cabinet had 12 trays, each only 1/4" thick....far too thin to hold a coin of any substantial thickness.....so I replaced them with 6 trays, each 1/2" thick.

....and not to give anything away, but I'm working to retrofit another, equally if not more, interesting antique cabinet for him.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity