Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian denarius interesting mark on rev. (earlier post revived!)  (Read 826 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Hi! I noticed a mark/bump  on recently received Hadrian denarius (on rev under Victoria). I remember a thread from last year summer where different types of raised bumps were discussed. But this one does not look like irregularity with metal, or any kind of control mark. I was able to find similar mints  of this issue with the same mark on the web, which also hints that it was some purpose for this mark, unless it was just a die mistake in this issue.

Do you have any ideas about purpose of this mark in this particular issue? Or, it was just a die mistake?

thx!

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian denarius interesting mark on rev.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:20:24 am »
sorry...i have just realised this is not a mark..this is globe in exergue...RIC 184 :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:10 am »
The globe is an intentional symbol, that appears in the exergue of some specimens of four denarius reverse types that may be assigned to 128 AD, because they pass from the obv. legend HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS to HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, and we know that Hadrian accepted the title Pater Patriae in 128 AD.

These four denarius types are your Victory seated left; Annona seated left; Roma seated right or, in a scarcer variant, seated left; and Star and Crescent.

We don't know the reason for the added globe. Such added symbols frequently mark separate issues in the later empire, but are unusual in the second century AD. Mattingly conjectured that the globe symbol could be connected with Hadrian's decennalia: in 127 Hadrian will have celebrated his completion of ten years of rule. The globe, Mattingly says, could mark "the world-wide interests and popularity of the emperor"; it "comes in about the time of the 'decennalia' and is therefore naturally associated with them." The quotes are from Mattingly defending his idea in BMC, against Strack's objection that the idea was arbitrary and lacked any foundation.
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:57:40 pm »
Curtis Clay, thanks so much for so interesting information!...wish you a nice weekend! Cheers   

Offline timka

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian denarius interesting mark on rev (earlier post revived!)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »
Hi!

I have just completed my little quest for Hadrian denarii with Globe in exe! When I occasionally got the first one with Victory I was immediately fascinated with the concept of spherical globe/earth/universe that was known in ancient times, -so I  decided to put my hands on the entire series.

During my quest I got across two interesting ones :

a. VENERIS FELICIS/Venus with Cupid ( this variant with globe is not in  RIC, and even Curtis did not mentioned it above... though there are couple on acsearch and one in BM...so it seems to be a rare one). Also, it is COS III PP on ob- it seems to be the only type with Globe from COS III PP on ob. issue.  

b. Crescent and Star - It happened so that I got across the variant with PP on obverse, which is much rarer than the common one without PP on obverse. This coin was already discussed earlier.

My impression of the entire series in hands  was that all of them are very different in terms of silver quality, styles and ob legends. If not the globe, nothing would unite them. However there is a time frame behind those 6 coins:

AD 125 - 128
HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS
There was some kind of launch of the concept  in AD 125 -128, when all seated divinities of that issue were given a globe under throne  - 4 types (Victory, Pudicitia, Roma, Annona), along with Crescent/Star type, which could be the flagship of this series given its planetary topic.

AD 128-135
HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS PP
Crescent/Star type was evidenced with the point and globe (as my variant), as well as Victory  according to RIC. So, these variants could appear in transition from the earlier period, as Curtis suggested.  It cannot be excluded that other seated divinities will be found with globe as well.  

AD 134-138
HADRIANVS AVG COS III PP
VENERIS  FELICIS (N5 on my photo) - this is the most puzzling for me - have a look at Hadrian on obverse - he looks like Pius - is not it odd? why the globe appeared after 6-9 years after the main series? Could this be minted by Pius after Hadrian death to commemorate something?

Please do not judge the quality of coins - it is self-explanatory - the auction houses were out of my reach, and I had to skip many descent-looking ones....so it took 2 years.

PS. Im still missing Roma left with Globe - but it is really rare - it can take years until I get across it within affordable price range...though I know that Eric got it - good for him:)

Thank you for your time.

Z

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
Re: Hadrian denarius interesting mark on rev. (earlier post revived!)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 03:38:15 pm »
Please do not judge the quality of coins - it is self-explanatory

I think they're fantastic! An interesting piece is a beautiful piece. (Usually  ;D )

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:51:03 pm »
The chronology is simple, as I stated above. The globe only occurs on five types that may be assigned to 128 AD, because they pass from the obv. legend HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS to HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, and we know that Hadrian accepted the title Pater Patriae in 128 AD.

These five denarius types are Victory seated left; Annona seated left; Roma seated right or, in a scarcer variant, seated left; Pudicitia seated left (which I left out above); and Star and Crescent.

It is extremely unlikely that a globe will ever be found added below other types, because most of the variants with globe are relatively common, so other types with globe would have been produced in volume too if they were ever struck, but none have been found.

The only exception is the VENERIS FELICIS type, but that type was struck about ten years later, so has no connection to the globe types of 128. This type must have struck at least partly after 25 Feb. 138, because of the portraits resembling Antoninus Pius that you have noticed.

We don't know why the globe was added to all types in 128, and then to just one type in 138. No, the VENERIS FELICIS type is not posthumous, in my opinion.
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:54:43 pm »
Please do not judge the quality of coins - it is self-explanatory

I think they're fantastic! An interesting piece is a beautiful piece. (Usually  ;D )

TenthGen, thank you for your support!   

It is extremely unlikely that a globe will ever be found added below other types, because most of the variants with globe are relatively common, so other types with globe would have been produced in volume too if they were ever struck, but none have been found.

Curtis, thank you for you observations about  the Globe edition! As for your quote, I meant that other types like Roma or Pudicitia and PP on obverse can be found theoretically too, similarly to abnormal Victory/Globe and PP on obverse - RIC 345, or Crescent/Star/Globe and PP on obverse - RIC 355.

Thank you,

Z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity