Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clipped Trachy Archangel Michael? Latin Rulers SB 2036?  (Read 679 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Clipped Trachy Archangel Michael? Latin Rulers SB 2036?
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »
I just acquired a nicely detailed clipped trachy measuring 17-18 mm and weight 1.6 g.  It appears to have Archangel Michael on the obverse and Christ on the reverse.  It seems quite similar to Latin Rulers of Constantinople SB 2036.  However, it seems to be Ae rather than billion.  Any ideas?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Posa

• Consul
Re: Clipped Trachy Archangel Michael? Latin Rulers SB 2036?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:40:34 pm »
Of course, you are right: SBCV 2036. The  "Latins" are all said to be made of more or less pure copper with traces of Sn and Zn but without any noteworthy amount of Silver.

The CLBC lists two modules:
11.15.1: Die diameter 21mm
11.15.2: Die ddiameter 18-16mm and little smaller

Yours seems to be the bigger one

Posa

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »
Is this the type attributable to Baldwin de Courtenay the last emperor of the Latin Empire of Constantinople?
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »
Malloy/Preston in "coins of the Crusader states" attributes  Sb 2030 thru 2040? to "mostly Baldwin de Courtenai this published in 2004. Val here in CLBC argues the Venetian's minting in this same time period in Constantinople were managing the mints. Of what I understand I have read of these I do lean towards Val point if just at more finds are researched our knowledge increases. I attribute mine now with both a CLBC number and Sear number as a "latin trachy" and leave it at that.

cw

Offline Posa

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:20 am »
In the auction Künker 137, de Witt Collection, Lot 3959, p.308
http://books.google.de/books?id=iWd0mimd-dMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=k%C3%BCnker++137&hl=de&sa=X&ei=Y3iaUdLvC-ja4QSlz4HQAQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=k%C3%BCnker%20%20137&f=false
it has been sold as a "coinage for or of the period of Jean de Brienne", (which is the time of Baldwin II., btw.) I suppose it´s just a way of giving the coins a name and a face. I also think, "latin trachy" or "trachy of the period of the latin empire" are more reasonable.

Posa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity