Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Latin Rulers  (Read 527 times)

Taurus

Latin Rulers
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:32:27 pm »
Can you ,please, tell me the rarity of these small coins of the Latin Rulers ?

mm.   20  -  18   gm.   0,79  -  0,84

Thank-you

Taurus

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Re: Latin Rulers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
They look like billon aspron trachys, indeed from the Latin rulers of Constantinople.

"LATIN RULERS OF CONSTANTINOPLE. (1204-1261) Billon aspron trachy, small module. Large cross I-C-X-C (arranged clockwise) in angles / Emperor standing facing, holding sword and labarum. Sear 2043"

However another interpretation of the letters in the angles as listed on Wildwinds is I-C-N-K, as in:

"Latin Rulers of Constantinople. 1204-1261. AE small module Trachy. I C N K in the four angles of a cross on a base / Emperor, full length figure, standing, holding long spear and cross on globe. Sear 2054"

I believe they are somewhat scarce and yours are in nice condition.

Offline Posa

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:08 pm »
The CLBC lists it with "rarity 1", which means, that it´s quite common, sold regularly in large quantities. I´d say, that it´s more scarce than the other very common types, listed with rarity 1. Perhaps it´s more common that the coins, listed with rarity 2.

Posa

Taurus

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 05:38:36 am »

Tank you guys  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity