Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maurice Tiberius  (Read 503 times)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Maurice Tiberius
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:16:15 am »
So I presume this is a die cutters mistake. the exergue in IIIK o, where  I presume the first II are not bridged to make a N. Thing is the  ANNO to the left is ANO. Its a overstrike and I see the 'U" above the large M. I really do not see the room for a blundered ANNO on the left it clearly to me is a Ono. Any other thoughts ? I still consider it a product of the Nicomedia mint and SB511 is recorded as yr II/I B officina.

26mm
11.46g

thanks

cw

Offline Posa

• Consul
Re: Maurice Tiberius
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:50:14 am »
That´s a Heraclius of Nikomedia struck over a Phocas with ANNO over the XXXX and Year U(III?) ;)

Posa

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:06:50 am »
Phocas was a hated emperor. His reign was violent and oppressive. Heraclius and his son revolted against Phocas, and when they came to power, there were still a lot of Focas' folles around. It seems that many of them were simply overstruck instead of being remelted. I made a little thread on a couple coins I have where I can see the mint mark of two different cities on two coins :D

You can find it here if you want to check it out: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93569.0

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »
Posa,

I agree thanks! good eyes on the Phocas under type, one can pretty clearly see the X behind the large M,
-
CH2

I like your tread on over strikes, I have started a collection of overstrikes myself as I seem to be encountering a number of them.

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity