Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Coin, Ionian?  (Read 533 times)

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
Greek Coin, Ionian?
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:50:17 am »
This one has me intrigued despite not being that clear. It came in a lot of uncleaned coins that has had two others IDed as being from Ionia. The back has some lettering visible that I have tried to find, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Weight: 3.1 g
Diameter: 17.1 mm

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Greek Coin, Ionian?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:54:16 am »
Hi chuy,

Could it be Thrace, Odessos? Just a wild guess.

Meepzorp

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:03:43 am »
Nice catch. The imagery is similar to http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/bigpic.cgi?pic=coins/greece/thrace/odessos/Moushmov_1529. I'll continue looking for a closer match.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:30 am »
I also believe that your coin is from Odessos, your coin is missing the first and last letter and should read as follows. OΔHΣIT

Although this coin weighs less, i feel it is a step in the right direction.
http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/odessos/t.html

Odessos, Thrace, AE14. After 200 BC. Laureate head of Apollo right / ODESIT beneath river god reclining left on a rock, holding rudder.

Good luck

Arados

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:37:55 am »
That's a good opportunity for some careful cleaning. The blob of dirt on the face can be attacked by carefully going under it with a needle while avoiding actually touching the coin. This way, quite large chunks will just pop off.
Andreas Reich

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:12 am »
Arados, looks like we have confirmation on the location, thanks!

Ariech, I tend to err heavily on the side of under cleaning, but I do see what you're talking about. If I can find some time I'll take my pin to it tonight and see if I can reveal a bit more.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity