Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 08:57:40 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: What the simplest kind of preservation? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What the simplest kind of preservation?  (Read 1302 times)
Bohemian
Praetorian

VIRTVS!

« on: April 06, 2004, 01:26:02 am »

Hi, i gave nice light gently cleaned coin to plastic coins album. There was perhaps some corroded coin before. New coin quickly darked. So, who knows some simple kind of preservation ahead of next corroding, withoud hunt of some special glue in special shops?Hi&Thanks Huh
bruce61813
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 06:52:47 am »

Many household cleaners contain chemical that react with the copper in bonze, or with silver. You did not say what you used or what type of coin. why are you looking for glue?

Bruce
Steve Minnoch
Tribunus Plebis 2007
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 07:06:11 am »

Bohemian,
If I understand you correctly, the darkening may have been caused by a reaction with chemicals in the plastic the album was made out of.  You might be better off to find a different way of storing them.

Steve
jimwho523
Consul

Virtuti melius fortunae creditur - Syrus, Maxims

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:43:22 am »

I use renaissance wax by applying a light coat, and buffing. Renaissance wax is used by the british museum, so I figure you can't go wrong with it  Cool

Jim

OOPS ! see the following thread, I stand corrected.... Undecided

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=1401

Facilis descensus Averno; sed ad auras evadere est labor! (The Road to hell is a easy one, it is the journey back that is diffulcult!)
cscoppa
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 06:30:11 pm »

See the RW thread in this section.............Curtis points out that the BM does not use it on their coins and he confirmed that directly with the museum.

Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: What the simplest kind of preservation? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop