Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver Antoninianus (?) of Philip II  (Read 400 times)

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
Silver Antoninianus (?) of Philip II
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:02:51 am »
I have a coin that was sold to me a while back as an antoninianus of Philip II, but it feels very light to me. I'm not an expert though, so I thought I'd ask on here if all the pieces 'fit' for that to be the correct attribution. I have a hunch it could be a denarius, but again, I'm not an expert hence me asking some experts. At the very least hopefully I'll get some education!

Size: 23mm
Weight: 2.65g

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
Re: Silver Antoninianus (?) of Philip II
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:20 am »
Very curious. In the small bit of research I have done on this so far, I cannot find a denarius with your reverse listed. You are correct though, it does seem light. I am going to check for a match today as time permits.-Ryan
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:28 am »
Those are antoninianus dies, as shown by their size and by Philip's radiate crown on the obverse. So it is an underweight antoninianus. A denarius would have a laureate portrait, and be struck from smaller dies.
Curtis Clay

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:48 pm »
Good to know. Do you think the missing weight was shaved off at some point or never there?

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
Those are antoninianus dies, as shown by their size and by Philip's radiate crown on the obverse. So it is an underweight antoninianus. A denarius would have a laureate portrait, and be struck from smaller dies.
True, I should have seen that from the start( the radiate crown). Antoniniani are always radiate. Small surprise it is underweight, many Antoniniani are, that is why I despise the term "double denarius", which would seem to indicate a coin of at least 5 grams, up to 6. I love looking at coinage and how the quality of it fluctuates along with the state of the Empire. Chuy1530, to your question, it would not be out of the ordinary for coins like yours, struck with debased silver, to also be made "light" on purpose, or out of necessity as silver supplies dwindled.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline chuy1530

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »
Very interesting, thanks for the info both of you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity