Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie - DN HONORI-VS PF AVG, VICTORIA AVGGG, CONOB  (Read 1009 times)

Knz

Newbie - DN HONORI-VS PF AVG, VICTORIA AVGGG, CONOB
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:56:30 pm »
Hi there guys,

I hope I won't annoy anyone by asking quite an obnoxious question at these ends ;) but I'll try anyhow...

I have found this coin recently and not knowing even the time era of its minting I tried to look up something about it....

By my totally amateur sight it should be something as:

D N HONORI - VS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r., Rv. VICTORI - A AVGGG, emperor standing r., holding Victory on globe and standard; at his feet, captive; in field, R - V; in ex. COMOB

... o.k., so thats what I found out, telling me exactly nothing even relatively close to my questions which is - is this coin worth something to people who liking in such and is therefor auctionable (or tradable or idontevenknowwhattodoifyes) or should I just keep it as a lucky coin :)?

Please find liking in the following enclosed picture (Quality affected by interior lights - will post more if asked to).

And big thanks and regards for anyone spending time on answering my plea ;)...

Knz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Newbie - DN HONORI-VS PF AVG, VICTORIA AVGGG, CONOB
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:14:13 am »
Welcome to Forum.

I'll leave authentication for someone who knows these types but you are on the right track.   The Emperor is Honorius  (A.D. 393-423). Please provide size and weight.

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=714868

Knz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 02:16:46 pm »
Thank you for the reassurance and welcoming me :).

The diameter of the coin is 20.3 mm, I am working on the weight will update in this post and add info to the first one.

Thanks,
Knz

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »

Youc coin has mintmark of Ravenna, like this:

Knz

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 02:48:43 pm »
I'm sorry for triple posting but since I haven't been able to find edit function yet. I'll have to add it to a new post and will just hope that some kind moderator will sum it up in the opening post of the topic (thanks if yes :) )...

The diameter of the coin is 20.3 mm, weight 4.46g...

By the way, could anyone that could tell me what material it is then? I'm really lost in antique coins, so my only guess is gold, and therefor will have it checked tomorrow.
Am I presuming right?

Oh and also, thanks for all the replies, you guys are great.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
It should be gold.

Knz

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:39 pm »
Thanks for the advices so far guys...

Got it checked today, the weight is as said before, so is the diameter and it is indeed gold...

What are should be my next steps or is it basically worth just keeping as a lucky coin?

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:13 pm »
It's a valuable coin if it is genuine. Value is not normally discussed on this forum but it's safe to say that you are looking at hundreds of dollars.

Knz

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:26 am »
Thank you Christopher H2, I won't ask further questions regarding price then.

I will just ask if you or someone could guide me on the next steps how and where to get it checked certified(?) for being original and having it valued then. I don't really know what services or organizations to use really... For the reference I am from Slovakia, Europe.

Also I would like to thank everyone else here for all your tips and time spent with me on this topic so far.

Regards,
Knz

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:39:30 am »
I will just ask if you or someone could guide me on the next steps how and where to get it checked certified(?) for being original and having it valued then. I don't really know what services or organizations to use really... For the reference I am from Slovakia, Europe.

The usual method to get a coin of potentially significant value authenticated is to send it to David Sear for certification: link and instructions and fees are here: you will need to email him to ask about sending from overseas and payment method.
http://www.davidrsear.com/certification.html
He will not provide a valuation however, he just authenticates. For values, the easiest way is to look for a similar coin on acsearch.info and see what they sell for.

Offline spinkpa

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:09 am »
Looks like a double-die match to this one:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=662222

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »
Looks like a double-die match to this one:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=662222
Those die cuds are unmistakable. Good find!

Knz

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:54 am »
Thank you all very much, the coin indeed looks like the exact same piece (altho the my one is bit scratched on the legend side :/ with 1 small mark).

All of you helped me greatly, for now on, it looks that I will keep it as a lucky coin at home :).

Once more thanks and regards,

Knz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity