Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help on this Antoninvs Pivs  (Read 447 times)

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
Help on this Antoninvs Pivs
« on: January 21, 2014, 03:12:27 am »
I need your precious help in order to get correct ID for this Dupondius (no track of it on RIC, Sear or Cohen ...)

Herewith the images and the description I believe are on obverse and reverse

Thanks for your cooperation

Obv - ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP
Rev - FELICITAS AVG / COS III / SC

Weight - 12,6gr
Diam - 28mm

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
Re: Help on this Antoninvs Pivs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:11 pm »
Nobody ? ...

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help on this Antoninus Pius
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »
Vienna has such a dupondius, according to Strack 763.

On reverse COS - II across field (139 AD), not COS - III (which would be 140-144).
Curtis Clay

Offline shigoto

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:35 pm »
Curtis, thank you so much for your information ! Could you please let me know the rarity "grade" for this dupondius ?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help on this Antoninus Pius
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »
Strack knew only one specimen, so certainly rare. His concern was to catalogue the existing types, and he made no attempt to categorize rarity.

One has to bear in mind, though, that a huge number of new coins have turned up since Strack visited European museums and private collections and perused sale catalogues around 1930. Strack didn't visit many quite important collections, for example Glasgow, Cambridge, Turin, Madrid, Stockholm, Belgrade, ANS. Moreover, not many public collections have made an effort to acquire every variant of every series of ancient coins; what they have is somewhat haphazard, and large numbers of rarities that they are missing remain in private hands or on the market. So though your dupondius seems to be the second recorded specimen according to Strack, a thorough search today might well turn up several or even 5-10 other examples. Plus, the rarity of a particular variety has very little effect on the market value of an ancient coin, except in fields where there happen to be at least two well-off, specialized private collectors striving for completeness, as is the case at the moment for Roman coins of Gordian III and of Probus!

As to your Pius dupondius, both I and Frans Diederik have a special fondness for the coins of Pius and would certainly be very happy to acquire it, but neither of us would pay a large premium for it, since we know that there are large numbers of other rarities regularly coming up and selling very reasonably, plus neither of us is rich!
Curtis Clay

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:05:42 pm »
The best and most honest statement about the relation of rarity to price in regard to ancient coins I have ever read!  I remember years and years ago when I was young--and so were these coins (well, not quite as old anyway) and I had discovered the third recorded specimen of a rather obscure and ugly coin.  I found it unsalable.  There were only two collectors in the area, both had one, and both of their specimens were better!

Mac

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »
So it was the worst known example?  ;D
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity