Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 144694 times)

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #525 on: March 29, 2015, 12:15:01 pm »
Incredible Ori., Sestertius of Nero – Thank You Joe –

The Lost Arch of Nero. This arch is undoubtedly the one that Tacitus says was voted to Nero for Corbulo's victory in Armenia in 58, and that he further reports was being constructed "in the middle of the Capitoline Hill" in 62, despite a successful invasion of Armenia by the Parthians in that year. No traces of the arch have ever been found. The arch was completely destroyed either shortly after Nero's death with the damnatio memoriae Nero received when the senate proclaimed him an enemy of the state, or in one of the two fires that consumed the Capitoline hill in 69 and 80

Orichalcum sestertius, RIC I 392, BMCRE I 329, BnF II 77, Cohen I 307, Mac Dowall WCN 410, Choice gVF, superb portrait, excellent detail in arch ornamentation, 25.245g, 34.8mm, 180o, Lugdunum (Lyon, France) mint, c. 65 A.D.; obverse NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER PM TR P IMP P P, laureate head right, globe at point of bust; reverse triumphal arch; surmounted by statue of Nero in a facing quadriga, led by Pax on left and Victory on right, and flanked below by two soldiers; front ornamented with statue of Mars in a niche and bas-reliefs of small figures; garland hanging in arch;

***With my sincere thank and appreciation , Photo and Description courtesy of FORVM Ancient Coins Staff.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-119582
Sam Mansourati

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »
Extremely nice purchase!  I just missed the boat on a few of these Neros a bit back when I had some extra funds.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #527 on: March 29, 2015, 01:22:26 pm »
Nice sestertius, Sam.   I looked at that one myself several times.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #528 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »

Matthew C5 and Carausius , thank you . Indeed it is a Historical  Sestertius , so is every coin I got from FORVM.

Greetings,
Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #529 on: March 30, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »
That's a marvelous coin, Sam. Kudos!

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #530 on: March 31, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
That's a marvelous coin, Sam. Kudos!

Thank you so much John , indeed it is a marvelous Sestertius.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2015, 12:08:22 pm »
I have generally held back from adding coins to my Probus hoard other than the coins from Lugdunum that I occasionally find. I was however tempted by the following coin in the Forum catalog.

Probus Antoninianus
Obv:IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle
Rev:– PAX AVG, Pax standing left, olive-branch in right hand, transverse scepter in left
Minted in Ticinium (Q _ / XXI), Emission 7, Officina 4. A.D. 280
Reference(s) – RIC 704 var. (Q right); Alföldi Siscia V, type 41, 79 (citing London); Pink VI/1, p. 53;

A nice, well centered example, good strike, very little wear and nearly fully silvered.

Coins with the officina mark in the left field from Siscia are very much the exception with >99% of coins with the officina mark in the field being in the right field. Obtaining one isn't necessarily that difficult however if you are willing to settle for an example from this die pair. I suspect that a hoard including several examples from this die pair came on to the market since 2008 and thus there are probably about a dozen or so examples in various online databases if you care to look for them.

My research into these coins also turned up an obverse die link to an example with the same reverse type but with the officina mark in exe. which we would attribute to the 4th emission fating to A.D. 277, some three years earlier than my example. Illustrated below.

A nice coin delivered in the usual superb manner by Joe and his team.

Many thanks Joe!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2015, 02:14:04 pm »
Martin,

It seems most unusual that antoniniani struck three years apart should share the same obv. die.

Surely the die link suggests that that chronology needs revision?

Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #533 on: April 25, 2015, 02:19:42 pm »
Curtis,
That is what I was thinking too. I need to think about where to start.
Regards,
Martin

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:25 am »
Curtis,
That is what I was thinking too. I need to think about where to start.
Regards,
Martin

Interesting idea, I support ..

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Wonderful Rhodian Diobol !
« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2015, 12:32:12 pm »
I thought I would share this wonderful tiny diobol I received from Joe yesterday...
   A fantastic piece of Classical Greek art in miniature and a very happy addition to my growing collection of coins from ancient Rhodos!
( my gallery here https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4542 )

This coin...

Silver diobol, SNGvA 2833; BMC Caria p. 258, 311 (trihemiobol); SNG Keckman 693 ff. var (various control symbols), VF, attractive style, toned, marks, 0.989g, 11.2mm, 0o, Rhodos (Rhodes) mint, c. 188 - 84 B.C.; obverse radiate head of Helios right; reverse rose with budding branch left, grain ear (control symbol) right, P-O across fields, border of large dots.

I shall always be amazed at the skill of the die cutters and their ability to capture so much detail in such a tiny space....  +++ ;D +++

Thanks Joe!!!

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:15 am »
A very attractive little Helios/Rose mate  ;) +++

Have you taken a closer look at the symbol on your coin ?

I had a quick browse and found the following on AR Rhodian, aphlaston, bunch of grapes, caduceus, cornucopia, palm, poppy rising sun and star.

Yours appears to be a thuderbolt, the only thunderbolt coins i can find of this type are bronze. I don´t own a copy of SNG Keckman, does it mention thunderbolt for silver coins of this type ?

All the best
Martin

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #537 on: May 10, 2015, 10:24:48 am »
Well, I have checked Keckman, and several other references I have for Rhodian coinage and I can find no reference for corn ear OR thunderbolt on this periods diobols... So thanks for your time Arados, but for now I remain undecided.... It's a great little coin though regardless of what the control mark is!!!

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #538 on: May 10, 2015, 10:37:20 am »

HGC6-1465 does mention grain ear among other symbols.

Pekka K

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #539 on: May 10, 2015, 12:21:50 pm »
Thank you Pekka!!

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #540 on: May 10, 2015, 01:25:19 pm »

Here is that list:

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #541 on: May 10, 2015, 02:06:01 pm »
Thank you once more!!!
 +++ ;D +++

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2015, 04:48:52 pm »
I am absolutely delighted with my most recent acquisition from FORVM.  A Roscia-3 has been on my ‘Wish List’ for a very long time, and I was excited when Joe listed this beauty.  Thank you Joe.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-122407

L. Roscius Fabatus silver denarius serratus, (Italian provincial mint); Rome, 3.888g, 18.3mm, 135o, c. 64 B.C.
Obverse head of Juno Sospita right, clad in goat's skin, jug(?) and column or candelabrum (control symbols) behind, L ROSCI below.
Reverse Girl standing left feeding snake, low table or bench (control symbol) left, FABATI in exergue
RSC I Roscia 3; SRCV I 363; Crawford 412/1, symbols 16; BMCRR 3411; Sydenham 915

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
haven't seen ya around for awhile Bud, good to see you post.    :)

and a very nice addition too!

~ Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #544 on: July 25, 2015, 07:16:33 pm »
Thanks Bud.  It has been a very slow summer. I appreciate the business.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #545 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:03 pm »
This handsome Ptolemaic  :)

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #546 on: August 14, 2015, 02:56:29 pm »
It is indeed, congratulations John  +++

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #547 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:49 pm »

Wow, very nice coin!!

c.rhodes

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #548 on: August 15, 2015, 02:37:24 pm »
I bought myself a coin from Forvm for my birthday this year. It has just arrived. I couldn't be ahhpier with the coin or the usual fantastic service and delivery.

Pescennius Niger denarius
Obv:IMP CAE PESCEN NIGER IVST A, laureate head right
Rev:– ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma in military attire seated left on cuirass, no shield at side or feet, Victory offering wreath in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand
Minted in Antioch. Apr 193 - May 194 A.D
Reference:– Unpublished in primary references, cf. RIC IV 70d, RSC III 62b, BMCRE V p. 80 note, SRCV II 6121, Hunter III -,

Scratches and scrapes, small edge test cut, hard edge bump on reverse resulting in crack on obverse, slightly off center cutting off parts of legends

2.690g, maximum diameter 17.1mm, die axis 15o

Numerous varieties of Pescennius Niger denarii with Roma Aeternae reverses are published in the standard references, but none describe Roma as seated on a cuirass. A few have been seen with dealers though.

Thank you Joe.

Martin

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #549 on: August 15, 2015, 03:20:56 pm »
I bought myself a coin from Forvm for my birthday this year. It has just arrived. I couldn't be ahhpier with the coin or the usual fantastic service and delivery.

Pescennius Niger denarius
Obv:IMP CAE PESCEN NIGER IVST A, laureate head right
Rev:– ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma in military attire seated left on cuirass, no shield at side or feet, Victory offering wreath in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand
Minted in Antioch. Apr 193 - May 194 A.D
Reference:– Unpublished in primary references, cf. RIC IV 70d, RSC III 62b, BMCRE V p. 80 note, SRCV II 6121, Hunter III -,

Scratches and scrapes, small edge test cut, hard edge bump on reverse resulting in crack on obverse, slightly off center cutting off parts of legends

2.690g, maximum diameter 17.1mm, die axis 15o

Numerous varieties of Pescennius Niger denarii with Roma Aeternae reverses are published in the standard references, but none describe Roma as seated on a cuirass. A few have been seen with dealers though.

Thank you Joe.

Martin

Nice find  +++

Congratulation..

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity