Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This follis is from KYZ but also from CON?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
This follis is from KYZ but also from CON?
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
Hey people.

The obverse looks like it could be Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine standing facing, each holding globe with cross. I think I can read the ...RACLIuS part of the legend from 9 to 12 o' clock. Something like this on Wildwinds

The reverse is weird!

It has two sets of  :A3: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Omicron:, and both KYZ and CON for mint marks. The M also consists of two M's, one upside-down (or well, right side up in relation to the respective exergue)

Can anyone make sense of this reverse? Was it minted in Cyzicus then overstruck in Constantinople? Or perhaps the other way around?

Very interesting coin I believe at least!

(sorry the images got cut off a bit.)

11.85 grams, 26-27 mm.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: This follis is from KYZ but also from CON?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:23:39 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Re: This follis is from KYZ but also from CON?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:28 am »
Thank you Joe for taking a look.

This is my first coin that shows two different cities from being overstruck, and I think this is an extremely cool feature.

I have done a little research now and I've found out that these coins showing Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine are often overstruck.
However looking at plenty of pictures I have only found a few with a letter or two showing of the previous mint mark, nothing like on my coin  8)

Taking a liking for these I was fortunate enough to just win another one, this next specimen is a Constantinople follis overstruck on a Nicomedia follis with clear CON and NIKO! I will post a thread in the general ancient coin board soon with both coins, hoping that others will post more.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity