Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Additions to the Library  (Read 10475 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Additions to the Library
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 05:01:07 pm »

It has been a while since I last added anything to the library, today's additions include:

ARADOS HELLÉNISTIQUE, Étude historique et monétaire, by Frédérique Duyrat.

Coin Hoards from Roman Britain, Volume III, The Blackmoor Hoard, by Roger Bland.

Kolophon and its Coinage, A Study, by J. G. Milne, Numismatic Notes and Monographs, No. 96.

The Numismatic Chronicle, 1986.

Untersuchungen zur römischen Reichsprägung des zweiten Jahrhunderts, Teil I, Trajan. Teil II, Hadrian, Teil III, Antoninus Pius, by P. L. Strack.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:50 am »

Inspired by a thread in the Provincial Coinage section started by Curtis Clay on Waterfall coins from Edessa Macedonia I have added the following reference to my library (I have a few Gordian III coins from the city, none though are as inspiring as the coin the coin in Curtis' collection!):

Papaefthymiou, Eleni, Edessa de Macédoine, Etude historique et numismatique, Bibliotheque de la Societe de Numismatique 7, (Athens, 2002).

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »

I am not sure why I waited so long to finally get my next book, but it now passes as kind of the only reference for coins from Philippopolis, and until whomever is working on the new reference for the coinage of that city finally puts out their work it will have to do.

Greek Imperial Coins, Volume III, Thrace: Perinthus to Trajanopolis, Chersonesos Thraciae, Insula Thracia, Macedonia, Varbanov.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 05:04:49 pm »

One volume at a time, beginning with this one:

Roman Imperial Coins in the Hunter Coin Cabinet, Volume III, Pertinax to Aemilian, Anne Robertson, Oxford.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:15 am »

Two additions to the library from yesterday:

Corpus Nummorum Palaestinensium. Volume II: The Coins of Caesarea Maritima, Leo Kadman, Schocken Publishing House Tel-Aviv - Jerusalem, 1957.

The Coins of Roman Antioch, Richard McAlee, Classical Numismatic Group, Inc., 2007.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 11:06:49 pm »

Update added over the last two days:

Numismatic Chronicle, Years: 1997 and 2002.

The Coins of Moesia Inferiror I-III c. A. C., Marcianopolis, 2013 Edition, Hristova, Jekov

A Type corpus of  The Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms and Their Fractions, Michel and Karin Prieur.

Numismatic Notes and Monographs, Nos. 69 (The Sixth, Seventh, and Tenth Dura Hoards, Alfred R. Bellinger) and 73 (The Seleucid Coinages of Tyre, A Supplement, E. T. Newell).

Roman Imperial Coins in the Hunter Coin Cabinet, IV, Valerian to Allectus, Anne S. Robertson.

SNG Volume VIII, The Hart Collection Blackburn Museum.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »

Updating the library:

1) The American Numismatic Society, Museum Note 19;
2) American Journal of Numismatics 2;
3) The Numismatic Chronicle 2000;
4) Catalog of Greek Coins in the British Museum, Palestine.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 10:26:42 pm »

Today's addition:

Glaux 17. Zeynep Cizmeli, Le monnayage de Neocesaree et du Koinon du Pont, (Milan, 2006).

Also, I finally received (it was at my ex's place in SF) my 2013 Journal of the American Numismatic Society, Vol. 25!!!

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 09:22:15 am »

Two Great additions to the Library!

Rosenberger, M. The Rosenberger Israel Collection Volume I: City-Coins of Palestine: Aelia Kapitolina, Akko, Anthedon Antipatirs and Ascalon. (Jerusalm, 1972).

Rosenberger, M. The Rosenberger Israel Collection Volume II: City-Coins of Palestine: Caesarea, Diospolis, Dora, Eleutheropolis, Gaba, Gaza and Joppa. (Jerusalem, 1975).

It is interesting that most of the coins illustrated are line drawing with a few photos of coins interspersed throughout. That is one of the hazards of collecting ancient Judaean coins, they tend to not be photogenic - they are rare and even in such poor condition they are not cheap!! I have a couple of Trajans from Ascalon (see my post in the RPC thread) and having volume 1 of the Rosenberger collection gives me Ascalon.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 10:45:48 pm »

Today's addition, bolstering my references on Sicily and in particular Syracuse,

Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, The Collection of the American Numismatic Society, Part 5, Sicily III: Syracuse-Siceliotes, The ANS, 1988.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 11:58:01 am »

I have slowed down a bit on my reference acquisitions of late, but I did pick the following book this last week:

Jewish Coins of the Second Temple Period. Ya'akov Meshorer, Am Hasserfer Publishers, Ltd. 1967.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 08:05:13 pm »

Finally, after a very long wait and a couple of false alarms here on the list I managed to obtain a copy of Qedem 3!!

Nabataean Coins, Qedem 3, Ya'akov Meshorer, Monographs of the Institute of Archaeology, The Hebrew University, 1975.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 05:37:44 am »

I should have added the following volumes in my post about the addition of Nabataean Coinage:

1) Numismatic Chronicle, Seventh Series, Vol. 4, 1964. A great collection of articles by the biggies of Numismatics, including 2 by Bluma Trell, which have more recently been turned upside-down, but they are still worth the read.

2) The American Numismatic Society, Museum Notes 29, 1984. Has a couple of good articles, including "The Coinage of Neapolis in Samaria," by Harl, and "Hellenistic Coinage at Scepsis after its Refoundation in the Third Century B.C.," by Kagan. It is a good but incomplete article on Scepsis coinage.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

Today's addition to the library arrived all the way from Israel!!

From Ascalon to Raphia, City-coins of the Southern Palestinian Coast, Chaim Yashin, 2007.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:08 am »

Before I get too far behind I have a couple of new additions to the library from last week:

1) Revue Numismatique, (Cinquieme Serie, Tome Neuvieme) year 1946. Contains the sought after article: P Le Gentilhomme, "La trouvaille de Nanterre," RN 1946, pp. 15-114 and plates 2-4.

2) Greek Numismatics and Archaeology, Essays in Honor of Margaret Thompson, edited by Otto Morkholm and Nancy H. Waggoner. Can't remember why I got this book - but it was worth it! (It might have been the article on The Bronze Coinage of Agolathes, by Holloway - ??!!

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:02 am »

It has been pretty slow lately adding books to the library - so many wanted! Anyway, today I add:

SNG Munich, Part 19: Troas - Lesbos, 1991.

Obtaining this volume was triggered by the acquisition of a coin from the Troas city of Skepsis.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »

Another long stretch between additions. This was a new arrival from last week:

L'Atelier D'Amaseia du Pont: rescherches historiques et numismatiques, Julie Dalaison, Numismatica Anatolica 2, 2008.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Additions to the Library - A FORUM Purchase
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:28 am »

I have been eying this book for a while and finally, after a posting in Identification section I decided that it was time to order a copy. Fortunately Forum had a copy for sale!!! It is not in my hot little hands yet, but by the time I get back from Angel Fire it will be!!!

SNG Alpha Bank Collection, Macedonia I: Alexander I - Perseus

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »

I have been waiting to obtain this next reference for a while:

Munzen & Medaillen GMBH Auktion 23; 18 October 2007; Sammlung BCD Akarnanien und Aetolien.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »

A new and most welcome member to my library:

Coin Hoards, Volume IX; Greek Hoards, edited by A. Meadows and U. Wartenberg; RNS 2002.

Thanks!

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 02:41:25 pm »

Today I get to report 4 new additions to my library, because the all came unexpectedly in a single box from Europe!! Wow the postage - from now on only Purchases from Forum!!

1) Griechisches Münzwerk Die Münzprägung von Augusta Traiana und Traianopolis, Bearbeitet von Edith Schönert-Geiss

2) SNG France 5, Mysie

3) SNG Österreich Sammlung Leypold Kleinasiatische cer MünzenKaiserzeit Band I

4) SNG Österreich Sammlung Leypold Kleinasiatische cer MünzenKaiserzeit Band II

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 09:18:55 pm »

Book additions have slowed down some lately, but I have three new additions, all Forum purchases:

1) Nomisma: Untersuchunge auf dem Gebiete der antiken Munzkunde, I-V; von Fritze, Gaebler, 2002 Forni Edition.

2) ANS Museum Notes 16; 1970.

3) ANS Museum Notes 30; 1985.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 01:47:17 pm »

I have been reading the "2014 resolution - Work on my Roman Republican Research Library" post by carthago and I too started out with a goal for 2014 to add books and references to my library, my primary area of collecting, Roman Provincial, but with interests everywhere, and so far I have succeeded quite nicely. There are still many books on my list to obtain, but they will need to wait until next year. Today I add 2 new items to my library:

1) The Coinage of Gela, Gilbert kenneth Jenkins, The De Gruyter 1970 edition.

2) Paul-Francis Jaccquier, Munzen und Kunst Der Antike Katalog 29, Sommer 2002. I cannot remember why I wanted this catalog - too long between placing order and arrival in states. It will come to me - I hope!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 09:45:26 am »

I have not posted any additions to my library for a long time (since December 2014). I have added several books and will catch up on them soon, but two wonderful books arrived yesterday that I finally got around to ordering before they became scarce and more expensive:

1) Essays in Honour of Roberto Russo, edited by Peter G. Van Alfen and Richard B. Witschonke, Numismatica Ars Classica NAC AG, Zurich-London 2013.

2) The RBW Collection of Roman Republican Coins, Roberto Russo, (with collaboration of Alberto De Falco), Numismatic Ars Classica NAC AG 2013.

I don't collect that many Roman Republic coins but I am trying to build my library in all areas. I have a large list of books that I would like to buy but I am trying to be patient!

c.rhodes

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 10:47:00 pm »
Those are two great library additions, C. Rhodes.  I use the RBW book frequently as a resource and Essays Russo contains some very interesting papers.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity