Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ayyubid, al-Salih Isma'il unknown coin?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Ayyubid, al-Salih Isma'il unknown coin?
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:03:21 am »
Hi all;
I post this amazing coin AR Fraction of Dirham 0.3g-11mm-3h-it belongs to reign of Ayyubid, al-Salih Isma'il
Obv:within triangle "Al Malik  al-Salih Isma'il" in border legend [Mohamad Messenger of God]
Rev:within triangle "al imam Al Mustansir" in border legend[Kalima]
I never seen such coin ,shape,design and denomination?in my life.I wonder if it's Crusader imitation or regular unknown issue?? ???
Nothing in Balog-Can't find traces of any other References ???
Thanks in advance for all your help
Nassif

a

Re: Ayyubid, al-Salih Isma'il unknown coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:21:41 pm »
Different ruler, but of similar style from Yemen branch of Ayyubids:

http://www.mcsearch.info/record.html?id=1009534

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:27 am »
thanks explorer for your valuable help
Regards
Nassif

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:06 am »
Here is what i believed is the correct final description & attribution:
Ayyubid Saladin [564-589 H- 1169-1193 AD]-AR fractional dirham[1/8], Salah al-Din, Dimashq (570-571)AH -In the name of al-Salih Isma'il-with “Al Mustadi"-AR Fraction of Dirham [1/8] 0.3g-11mm-3h. unpublished type of a fractional dirham of Salah al-Din issued at Dimashq between AH 570-571 as nominal vassal of Al Salih Ismail b. Mahmud (Zangid).
Obv:within triangle "Al Malik  al-Salih Isma'il" in border legend [Mohamad Messenger of God with unknown last word?]
Rev:within triangle citing the Abbasid caliph al-Mustadi bi-amr Allah "Al- Mustadi bi-amr Allah " in border legend[Kalima]
Nothing in Balog-Nothing in S.Album-;Can't find traces of any other References-Probably UNIQUE?
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity