Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vikings in Sydney  (Read 1156 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Vikings in Sydney
« on: December 20, 2013, 08:10:46 am »
The Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney is running an exhibition called Vikings Beyond the Legend until the second of February 2014.

The exhibition draws on recent archaeological discoveries and nearly 500 rare artefacts to shed new light on the Viking way of life. Many of the artefacts have never been seen in Australia such as the oldest known Scandinavian crucifix, finely crafted bronze and silver jewellery, gold and silver pendants, small statuettes of Norse gods, and Viking swords dating from 700-1100AD.

Visitors can also see an eight metre replica of the Viking boat Krampmacken, and step on board the Jorgen Jorgenson - a newly restored reconstruction of the late 9th century Gokstad ship.

Vikings - Beyond the legend comes direct from Sweden and is produced by The Swedish History Museum and Museums Partner.

Regards,
Steve

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Re: Vikings in Sydney
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:56 am »

I must apologise to anyone who has seen the Viking exhibition at the Maritime Museum in Sydney on the strength of my post.   

I visited Sydney to see the Vikings exhibition myself and was very disappointed. The small domestic artefacts do give an insight into the lives of these early medieval warriors and the preserved weapons interesting, but the exhibition simply does not have enough depth to compensate for the effort of getting to Sydney and paying the cost of entry.     

The exhibitions in Canberra I posted notices on are far better and highly recommended.

Steve

Online PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Vikings in Sydney
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:43:24 am »
'Vikings: Life and Legend' is opening at the British Museum on 6th March. I am guessing that it is the same one as is on in Sydney. In which case I am disappointed to hear that it is not very good.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity