Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inca Gold in Canberra  (Read 1368 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Inca Gold in Canberra
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:01:03 am »
The Australian National Gallery in Canberra is running an exhibition from December 2013 until April 21 2014 called Gold and the Incas. It is the first exhibition of Peruvian art to be staged in Australia and will showcase the ancient pre-Hispanic cultures of Peru.

Regards,
Steve

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
Re: Inca Gold in Canberra
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:16:28 am »

Now that I’ve seen it I can strongly recommend this exhibition to anyone interested in Pre-Columbian art and culture. Spectacular gold crowns, pectorals, goblets, masks, figurines and other gold artefacts as well as textiles, ceramics, feather coats and jewellery in semi precious stone.

A must see.

Steve

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:57 am »
A very interesting exhibition. I have already seen most of the objects in Peruvian museums.
Some in my pre-Columbian collection are quite similar.
i.e.
http://nga.gov.au/Exhibition/Incas/Default.cfm?MnuID=2&GalID=3
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82308
The expression of the felines is quite different. Aggressive  and timid.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:52:29 pm »

Wow, benito you actually have a Moche piece!

The more I learn about the Moche the more amazed I become. The breadth of expression in their pottery is exceptional. The feline shaped stirrup jar you have in your collection does look very much as if it is from the same period as the feline shaped example in the exhibition. As you say your cat and the exhibition cat are both clearly expressing very different human emotional states, a clear testament to the great skill of the Moche potters.

Best regards,
Steve

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:06:40 am »
Glad to see there's someone interested in Precolumbian  antiquities.
I have a big (300 +) collection with quite a few   moche ( II to VI period)pieces.
Here are two of my favorites,a seated dignitary and a musician
In the near future I will incorporate more to my gallery including good textiles.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82376
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82155
Click to enlarge.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:14 pm »

You have an impressive collection benito. My favourite Moche piece in the exhibition is the warrior head stirrup vessel. It is in realist style and clearly intended to be the recognizable image of an actual person. Am I right in believing that only the Moche, of all pre-Columbian civilizations had an understanding of true portraiture?

Best Regards,
Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity