Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Compromised Vote  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Compromised Vote
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »
Again this year we have an issue with a user creating multiple accounts to vote for a site.  The creator of Nummis Bible notified me as soon as he found out.  I've ask Joe to check the IP addresses so I can see how many "fake" votes were created.

That being said, the earlier report of the winners is no longer official.

Thank you for your patience.

Nick

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Compromised Vote
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:57 am »
Sorry to keep everyone waiting, especially the winners.  There is no evidence from the IP addresses that one user created multiple accounts and voted, and so we are trying to determine the validity of that original claim that the vote was compromised.  As soon as I hear back from Nummis Bible admin everything should be settled and the original tallies considered valid.

I will be away most of the day today but I will try and update you all on the situation as soon as possible.

Nick

PS:  Since it has been two years in a row with very similar issues, I think we have to seriously consider limiting the vote to those with a Legionary status or above.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:54:10 pm »
If there's any evidence of multiple votes, I'll agree with you. From what you say though, it may not have happened this year, so it would be a bit premature.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:42:47 pm »
There is no evidence of illegitimate votes, except that the owner of the winning site claims he was informed that a member of his site created multiple accounts and voted multiple times, but he isn't sure how many.  He didn't want to win that way and came forward with the information. However, since an examination of the IP addresses revealed no further information, the results will stay.  It could have been a joke, or someone who wasn't happy with the results trying to get the site disqualified.  I really don't know and there is no way to be sure.  I don't think the site should be disqualified, either.  It's a good site and the owner was very straightforward about the potential issue.

I hope this settles the matter.  If not, we can have a vote of no confidence in me and change the results/have another vote!

Offline crispina

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:37 am »
we can have a vote of no confidence in me

Dear Nick,

I truly hope that you were joking, but I just want to publicly express my thanks to you, not only for all of your hard work, but also for your very strong commitment to ethics, transparency, and full disclosure.  You have my FULL CONFIDENCE!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:47:53 am »
Quote from: crispina on December 18, 2013, 08:07:37 am
we can have a vote of no confidence in me

Dear Nick,

I truly hope that you were joking, but I just want to publicly express my thanks to you, not only for all of your hard work, but also for your very strong commitment to ethics, transparency, and full disclosure.  You have my FULL CONFIDENCE!

Thanks, Shannon.  Yes, I was kidding.  I just meant that I have no other solution to the issue, so if the current solution is not suitable to the membership (maybe they think the winner should be disqualified, etc.), then there are ways of seeing that come about, which would include a vote of no confidence against me (I would be sad)  :'(

Nick

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »
I think the result is perfectly satisfactory. It's probably just a case of rumours spreading because of last year's debacle.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity