Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown coinage AE 18-Crusader with eagle? for ID  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Unknown coinage AE 18-Crusader with eagle? for ID
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:39:55 am »
Hi all;
I post this unknown coinage AE 18 mm-3,1g for ID which could be Crusader? issue?
Obv:Plain Cross with latin marginal legend
Rev:like Eagle above three turrets gate?with latin marginal legend
Thanks in advance for all your help
Nassif

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Unknown coinage AE 18-Crusader with eagle? for ID
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:16:26 am »
Crusaders Lordship of Cnios 15th -mid 16th Century  . The Mahona of the Giustiniani  . Doppio Tornesi .  Schl.XV. 6 - 16

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:28 pm »
Thanks Vladislav D for your valuable help
Nassif

rick2

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:07:20 pm »
interesting coin
the maona of chios was one of the first public company ever formed

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »
Hi Nassif,

Vlad is correct with the attribution. I immediately recognized it as a Genoese colonial coin.

I have the Lunardi Colonial Genoese reference book. I looked it up. It was minted in Chios by La Maona in 1347-1566. This coin could be any one of the following Lunardi coin types: S39, S40, S43, S45, or S46. All 5 of these coins are bronze coins of that type. About the only differences are the inscriptions and the years they were minted. Since I can't make out the inscriptions on your coin, I can't pinpoint it any further.

These coins are very rare and quite valuable. Did you buy it or find it? If you found it, you are very lucky.

Your coin is actually pretty nice for the type. They are usually crappy-looking. Yours isn't that bad. I've seen a lot worse.

Meepzorp

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:30:31 am »
Thanks  rick2 & Meepzorp for your valuable comments +++.i don't have the Ref.so i have to ask some "Stupid" questions? ???Where is situated this chios on the map of Genoese colonial ?somewhere in Europe? :-Xwho is "La Maona" >:(
I didn't see this coin in any Sales or Auction? :afro:
All my coins came from very old private collections and i look always for something unusual among thousands & thousands of items,after more than 20 years of experience once i see coin never seen by me before i must buy it and pay the good price for it
All the bests
Nassif
PS:I am posting in Byzantine section now a very unusual coin who was in the same lot with this coin-Have a look-thks

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:06:56 am »
Thanks  rick2 & Meepzorp for your valuable comments +++.i don't have the Ref.so i have to ask some "Stupid" questions? ???Where is situated this chios on the map of Genoese colonial ?somewhere in Europe? :-Xwho is "La Maona" >:(
I didn't see this coin in any Sales or Auction? :afro:
All my coins came from very old private collections and i look always for something unusual among thousands & thousands of items,after more than 20 years of experience once i see coin never seen by me before i must buy it and pay the good price for it
All the bests
Nassif
PS:I am posting in Byzantine section now a very unusual coin who was in the same lot with this coin-Have a look-thks

Hi Nassif,

Chios is not in Europe. It is an island off the west coast of Turkey, in the eastern Aegean Sea. During the late Middle Ages, it was a colony of the Genoese Empire. They may have "acquired" it from the Venetians. Most colonies of the Genoese Empire were former colonies of the Venetian Empire. During the Crusades, the Christian Crusaders from Europe, many of whom launched from Genoa, used Chios and other islands in the eastern Aegean Sea as hopping points or resting points (to look over the booty that they stole from the Middle East, etc.).

"La Maona" is the name of a company formed by the Genoese. Its primary function was to forcibly extract money (taxes, tribute, etc.) from the colonists in Chios and elsewhere. It was similar to the modern-day Italian mafia, who forcibly extract "protection money" from people. La Maona were not nice people. They often severely beat people up when they didn't "pay up" (just like the modern-day Italian mafia).

The reason you didn't see this coin in any sales or auctions is because it is very rare (at least a R2, possibly a R3). If possible, try to see if you can look at some old Italian auction catalogs (Varesi, Artemide, etc.) for coins of this type. Every now and then, they will sell one of these coins or a similar one. In particular, Varesi had an auction in circa 1999-2001 with hundreds of Genoese coins. I remember that auction because I was the winning bidder on numerous Genoese coins. If possible, see if you can look at it (online?). There are probably a few examples of this coin type in that auction. As you may know, I love Genoese coins because my paternal grandparents came from Genoa, Italy.

Meepzorp

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 04:06:32 am »
Great THANKS Meepzorp for your very valuable comments
All the bests
Nassif

rick2

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 06:07:02 pm »
La Maona was the first example of public limited company
its shares were traded

the links with the mafia are incorrect
a similar company but created at a much later date was the east india company or the dutch east india company (VOC)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity