Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: OCTAVIAN/AVG countermark of IMP VES within incuse rectangle / Victory standing  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
I love interesting countermarks and love this IMP/VES within incuse rectangle.    

DESCRIPTION OF COIN

The Triumvirs. Octavian. Autumn 31-summer 30 BC. AR Denarius (21mm, 3.64 g, 2h). Italian (Rome?) mint. Bare head left; to left, countermark of IMP VES within incuse rectangle / Victory standing right on globe, holding palm frond and wreath. CRI 408; RIC I 255; RSC 66; for c/m: Howgego 839.

COUNTERMARK AND IT's DESCRIPTION AND USAGE.

See BMCRE vol. II, pg. xvii where it is mentioned that the countermark is found on denarii from about 120 BC to those struck under Augustus. The countermark on this issue indicates the continued use of older coins in circulation and the occasional need to identify them as acceptable media of exchange. According to Howgego, this countermark was applied at Ephesus between 1 January AD 74 and 23 June AD 79. cng coins
Joe Geranio
JCIA
CCAESAR

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
The oldest one I have (I think - have to check) is from c.126BC:
Which means it was around for at least 200 years before being
countermarked, and then continued to be used. Remarkable!

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
These are great examples of this c/m issue.  Two questions:

1. I understand that the c/m was to indicate continued validity of the coin, but is there any indication of why did the authorities felt that they needed to do so?
2. When cataloguing these, are these considered to be issues of Vespasian or the underlying type with the c/m noted?

Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing these nifty coins.  What fun!
 ;D

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Hi Joe G,

The coin was minted in Italy, and the countermark was applied in Ephesos. So, I guess it is one of those coins where it was converted from an Imperial issue to a Provincial issue. I have a countermarked Augustus AE Imperial coin where the countermark serves that purpose (of converting it to a Provincial issue). I assume that was a way of "recycling" old coins in antiquity.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
These are great examples of this c/m issue.  Two questions:

1. I understand that the c/m was to indicate continued validity of the coin, but is there any indication of why did the authorities felt that they needed to do so?
2. When cataloguing these, are these considered to be issues of Vespasian or the underlying type with the c/m noted?

Thanks for your thoughts and for sharing these nifty coins.  What fun!
 ;D

Hi stlnats,

I will try to answer your questions:

1) See my post above. Some countermarks signified that transition.

2) The coin is usually cataloged by the underlying type, not by the person doing the countermarking - unless the underlying coin is totally obliterated.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity