Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek(?) AE13, Bust right in square / Sphinx(?) left  (Read 482 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Greek(?) AE13, Bust right in square / Sphinx(?) left
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:46:44 am »
I don't have high hopes for this one.

12 to 13 mm, 1.75g

It isn't thick and "dumpy" like small seleucid AEs, but it's not like a late Roman AE4 either. The "fabric" is different. The metal looks almost like what orichalcum looks like to me on pictures. Some bronze alloy I'm thinking. Other coins in the lot that I have ID'd were two small ae serrates of antiochus iv.

I can't see much but a standing figure holding something in his hand on one side, and two figures in a square, some kind of temple maybe, with writing around the square. I can't really make out the writing.

If I turn the "reverse" 90 degrees counter-clockwise, it also sort of looks like a figure seated left.

I'm hoping that somebody will have seen one of these coins in better condition and recognize it, because I feel that there is not a lot to work with as far as searches go.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
Re: Greek(?) AE13, standing figure / two figures in square, inscription around
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:06 pm »
I think it may be one of these?

"Autonomous coinage of Maroneia, Thrace. 400-350 BC. Horse pracing right, PNK monogram below. / MAR-WNI-TWN around linear square containing vine, VE-monogram below. BMC 66; SNGCop 632."

I can't find a lot of coins with a square on them like that, and in this size...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:32:37 am »
This is what I love about this site.

I have a couple of these coins and have never IDed them.  Nor have I got around to photographing and listing them.  But here, by following general posts, I find the help I need unasked.

My only question is whether the monograms at the exergues of obverse and reverse are always there or whether they had variations?  My examples are not great and don't give much detail in that area.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Macedonian Warrior

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 04:39:28 am »
its defo a Thrace looks like a Abdera. Reverse. Bust within linear square can't make out the obverse.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/abdera/t.html

you sure it's a figure on obverse?

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:01:47 am »
back again iv turned your Obverse picture around coins can be deceiving to me this could be a griffin, defo don't think your obverse is a figure.

the search goes on Happy Xmas

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:05:23 am »
me again this is the nearest i could find to yours

Abdera AE18. 385-347 BC. EPI ERMOS TRA TOU, head of Apollo right in square / ABDIRITWN, griffin springing left

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 02:22:00 am »
Thank you so much. You have helped me to spot that the bust right inside the square which I couldn't see before!

I am unsure whether it is a griffin - I think it looks more like an animal springing towards the right, and perhaps a horse. I do agree about the orientation of the coin though!

The one you posted is an AE18 - can you find any references for coins my size? (12-13 mm, 1.75g)

I really appreciate the help!

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:50:34 pm »
It's amazing how much better your pictures turn out once you can tell what is up and down on the coin!

I kind of see the pi above the bust, the o to the left of the bust, and rho-alpha under the bust. But I am probably just making the text fit with the attribution above.

Definitely looks like a sphinx or griffin left, but I can also imagine it as a centaur?

Doesn't seem like it's Abdera, their griffins look a bit different and the fabric of the coin is also different, they seem thicker and dumpier than this one.

I try searching for "centaur standing/walking left" but all I get are coins by Gallienus:laugh:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity