Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help  (Read 1436 times)

memmi

ID Help
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »
Please help with indentification coins.
Thanks in advance for any help.
memmi

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: ID Help
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:35 am »
Hi memmi,

The obverse is a (Jerusalem?) cross, with a pellet in each angle. The reverse needs to be rotated 180 degrees. It is a sphere with a cross atop. It looks like the Holy Grail (or was it the ticking time bomb?) from the 1980s Atari 400/800 video game "Galahad and the Holy Grail", which was based on the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which was a spoof in and of itself. So, it was a spoof of a spoof. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
Some issue from Portuguese India, perhaps a denomination of 1, 2, 5, 10?? bazarucos/bazaruccos (I see both spellings used)

memmi

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:25:51 pm »
So what is it then . Coin or spoof.? ???

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
It's a coin, not a spoof :D Meep was just talking about the "holy hand grenade"-like imperial orb on the reverse.

It may be from Goa or Diu or Malaca (or somewhere else?) I am not sure. How large is it, and what does it weigh?

memmi

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:13:42 pm »
Weight is - 0 , 8gr
The diameter of the coin is -1.6 cm

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:17 pm »
Hi memmi this is look like a Br (Bronze) Jeton XII centuries my opinion the real position are :

regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 04:49:42 am »
That is interesting Q. Do you think this jeton design evolved into the bale mark design which is where the low denomination issues of Portuguese India got their design from? I can't help but notice the strong similarities of the "obverse".

I definitely agree about the orientation of the reverse, an orb with the cross at the top makes the most sense.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:39:50 am »
Hi Chris
I'm not an expert the Portuguese India and others , but I saw sometimes this figure (globe on cross)
some medieval jetons beetween XIi-XIV centuries, an also the cross with or without dots or patriarchal cross surrounds with dots.

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
Quote from: Christopher H2 on November 25, 2013, 02:00:26 pm
It's a coin, not a spoof :D Meep was just talking about the "holy hand grenade"-like imperial orb on the reverse.

It may be from Goa or Diu or Malaca (or somewhere else?) I am not sure. How large is it, and what does it weigh?

Hi Chris,

Yeah, that's it! The "Holy Hand Grenade". The name eluded me in my previous post. That was a fun movie. And I used to love playing that video game when I was a teenager back in the 1980s. It was one of my favorite video games of all time. That video game was considered "state of the art" when it was released back in the early 1980s. It won several awards. It had amazing graphics for its time (amazing colors, different colored castles, etc.). I remember getting tips from my friends (on secret passages, etc.). It even had a "killer rabbit". I still remember the noise (a menacing sound) the rabbit made when it was "on the prowl" (and looking for blood!). The first time I acquired the Holy Hand Grenade, I thought it was the Holy Grail - until it blew up! :) The same thing happened to my best friend in high school (who also had an Atari 400/800/800XL computer, like me). I remember acquiring the Holy Grail a few times, but I think I never "completed the circle" by returning it to the point of origin - which was the ultimate goal of that video game (acquiring the Holy Grail was only half of your mission).

As far as the coin is concerned, it makes sense that it may be a Portuguese colonial coin. The obverse of this coin looks very similar to Spanish colonial coins from that era, including ones minted in Naples, Italy.

Meepzorp

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:14 am »
Thanks for that Meep. Fun to read about people's video gaming escapades from a time before I was born (born in 1991).

As for the coin, I am split between my tentative idea of a colonial issue and Q's idea of a c. 12-13th century jeton.

Perhaps the owner of this object knows where it was found. If it was found in ex-Portuguese India, that'd be a slam dunk. If it was found somewhere in Europe, that would make the bazarucco-ID very unlikely.

By the way, if anyone missed it, memmi supplied the weight and size earlier: 0.8 grams, 16 mm diameter.

memmi

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 11:33:12 am »
Hi everyone ,
The coin was found in Croatia . Thank you all for your help .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity