Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucca, Lotario I HRE and Duke Manfred, 840 - 855, Billon Denaro  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Lucca, Lotario I HRE and Duke Manfred, 840 - 855, Billon Denaro
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:38:31 pm »

From the tag:

Lucca, Lotario I HRE and Duke Manfred, 840 - 855, Billon Denaro, Biaggi 1050, 0.600g (apparently clipped, about half the full weight), 14.4mm

+ IMPERATOR, Lotario monogram
+ MAINFRIDVX, LVCA in circular arrangement

This is apparently a very rare type and the consignor wants a lot of money ($1400).  I am fairly certain it is Lucca.  Looking at Biaggi, the obverse could be a Lotario monogram.  Nothing else looks like a better match, but lacking expertise in the type, I am hoping for confirmation. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Lucca, Lotario I HRE and Duke Manfred, 840 - 855, Billon Denaro
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:22:11 am »
Hi Joe,

Did you try CNI? I don't have that CNI volume (volume #11, Tuscany, minor mints). I have a few original CNI volumes, but not that one. But you can look at all CNI volumes online. Try visiting "numismaticadellostato.it".

Is it CNI, Tuscany (volume #11), coin #20? There is a Lotario I and Manfredo coin on page 60-61 of that volume. The photo is in table IV on page 455. It looks similar to your coin, but I don't know if it is an exact match.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:27:24 am »
I have seen the references. The issue is, as you said, "It looks similar... but I don't know if it is an exact match." To sell it attributed as Lotario I, I need to know if it is an exact match.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:17:41 am »
Hi Joe,

I don't know if you will ever get the "exact match" that you are looking for. Your coin is so crudely struck and/or such low grade that it may be impossible to get a definitive assessment.

But I just found another potential problem or complication. You may already be aware of this. But, in case you aren't, I wanted to let you be aware of this. I have all of Varesi's MIR reference books. So, I decided to look in the MIR, Tuscany, minor mints volume. When I looked under Lotario I and Manfredo (840-855), there were no coins listed. And this is what it says, "Nota: per l'identificazione della moneta riportata dal CNI, p. 60 (tav. IV, 19) si veda l'esemplare riportato sotto RANIERI Duca di Toscana (1012-1028)."

When I looked under Ranieri (1012-1028), coin #104 is listed. It looks just like the CNI Lotario I and Manfredo coin. It is classified as an R5 coin, AR, 1.21 g, 16 mm. This is what it says, "Nota: questa moneta e presente soltanto nella Collezione Reale ed e stata erroneamente attribuita a un ipotetico duca Manfredo. La leggenda, letta erroneamente "MAINFRIDVX" dai compilitori del CNI, va interpretata "+RAINERIDVX"..... Il suo monogramma sostituisce in alto con una "R" la "V" di quello di Ugo....."

Apparently, the coin was mis-attributed by CNI (and Biaggi too?).

And, according to Varesi, Lotario I and Manfredo didn't mint any coins at all. There are none listed.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:36:55 am »
Hi Joe,

Your coin looks like so many of the numerous Lucca coins. Because of the condition, I don't know if anyone could ever pinpoint it to any one particular ruler. I can't read any of the legend. It may be a common Lucca coin. I don't know how the consignor could possibly say that it is a Lotario/Ranieri issue. That's really a stretch. How is the consignor differentiating it from the other Lucca issues? What criteria is he using?

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:51:52 am »
I agree entirely with your last post and that is exactly what I told the consignor before I made the first post in this thread.  But I told him I would ask for expert opinions before I return it. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »
Hi Joe,

I also looked in Grierson's "MEC Volume I" and Jim Robert's "Silver Coins of Medieval France" under the Carolingian section.  Neither work has any mention of any coin by Lothar I in Lucca.  Grierson has two coins of Lothar I in Italy, but these are in Milan and Pavia with a reverse of mint in a field.  Also these coins are of considerably better fabric and finenessHope this helps.

Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity