Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Denarius - Emesa or Laodicea Mint, or irregular?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I'd like to show you an interesting denarius here:

Septimius Severus, 193-194 AD
Obv. L SEPT SEV - PERT AUG IMP II
Laureate head right
Rev. SAECULI FELCI(T?) - I or rather a dot after SAECUL?
Seven stars and six or seven dots above and in crescent
19 mm max. diameter, 2.48 g, die axis 6 o'clock

What puzzles me is the fact that RIC lists these crescent reverses only for Emesa, and IMP II obverses for Rome and Laodicea (of which Rome can, of course, be ruled out by style). Mis-spellings on early Eastern denarii are not uncommon, and although the weight is on the light side, the coin does not show - to me - any signs of being inofficial.

Now where do i correctly attribute this coin? A competitor from this board apparently regarded it as inofficial, or I would never have got it on my half-hearted bid... ;)

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Septimius Severus Denarius - Emesa or Laodicea Mint, or irregular?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 04:55:47 pm »
The reverse comes very close to my coin in terms of style and lettering (and the weight is virtually identical!), BUT your coin has the normal (and clearly Emesan) obv. legend starting with IMP and having COS II at the end. The obv. legend of my coin is, however, not attested for Emesa. That's the puzzle.

Rupert

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:58:45 pm »
Well you right it is interesting...

Best regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:20:04 pm »
Certainly official IMP II.

I have a different one:-

don't you just hate it when snipes fail?

Glad it went to a good home.....instead of mine.....

the underbidder

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:35:22 pm »
I have a few coins from this obverse die. Here is one for comparison.

L SEPT SEV P-ERET AVG IMP II.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:49:48 pm »
Ah, very interesting. So the obv. legend on my coin too would read PERET not PERT and, since both IMP II and all these PERET and PERTE variants are typical for Emesa, my coin would be Emesan, with this rev. type just unrecorded by the time RIC was published?

As for your question in your first post: Ooh yes, absolutely! Luckily, my sniper has so far proven very reliable, only once about three weeks ago it failed to bid in time. I saw that you were bidding and thought, oh well, if he really wants it, I have no chance anyway, but I'll have a try, in case he just made a "routine bid". I was rather surprised to get the coin then!

Rupert

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:53:43 pm »
IMP II is what RIC refers to as Laodicea-ad-Mare but we don't really know. COS II would be Emesa.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »
Can any of you point to a die of this reverse type used with a COS II obverse where the stars (planets???) are joined by so many small dots?  It may be time to readdress the old theory that there are two Syrian mints separated by whether they used IMP or COS dating but I am not convinced as to the number (one, two, three, more???). 

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:40:32 am »
Here's another denarius I got these days, mixing "Emesan" dating on the obverse and a "Laodicean" reverse.

Septimius Severus, denarius
Obv. IMP CA L SEP SE - V PER AUG COS II
Laureate head right
Rev. IOVI - VICT
Jupiter with Victory and scepter seated left
18 mm, 3.25 g, die axis 12 o'clock
RIC -

See RIC 454 for the same rev., obv. with IMP II obv. legend from Laodicea, while this very obv. legend, with CA for CAE, is quoted by RIC 404(a), 405B, and 406(b) for varying Mars Victor reverses from Emesa. Now where should we suppose my coin was struck?

Rupert

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:30 am »
Rupert,

The obv. legend takes precedence: since this one ends COS II, it belongs to the COS II series.

Many rev. types are shared between COS II and IMP II coins. So here is another.

I already knew a couple of similar denarii, including one from the same dies as yours, in an unillustrated group lot of CNG's sale of the Marc Melcher collection.

The COS II legends like yours with some omitted letters are odd. The style of such coins is very like that of IMP II coins. So they are an interesting piece in the puzzle of the chronological and geographical relationship of the COS II and IMP II series.

As I stated in my long discussion of these Eastern series several years ago on Forvm, Mattingly's mint names for these series cannot be maintained.

COS II must be not Emesa, but the direct continuation of Niger's coinage, so either Antioch, or, more likely, the Antioch mint moved to Laodicea as part of Septimius' punishment of Antioch for its adherence to Niger.

When and where the IMP II series was struck remains entirely unknown. As stated above, the question is how it relates to the COS II series. The title IMP II is enigmatic, because it seems certain that these coins were not struck at the end of 193, when Septimius actually bore that title, but rather about a year later, when he was IMP V!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity