Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek(?) AE11, Head left // Chubby Owl(?)  (Read 301 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Greek(?) AE11, Head left // Chubby Owl(?)
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:48:51 am »
Looks like a head left on the obverse.
The two big circles on the reverse make me see it as an owl, but it looks chubbier than what I am used to.
Some fractional imitation?

10-11 mm, 1.39g

Other coins in lot were from Statoniceia (Caria) and Assos (Troas), i.e. modern day Western Turkey.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Greek(?) AE11, Head left // Chubby Owl(?)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:06:27 pm »
I cannot see anything recognizable one either photo.  The first is very much out of focus, and the second, if, well, corroded to something like an ink plot test.  Perhaps better eyes than mine can make out something, but I do not hold a hot of hope for that coin.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:15:42 pm »
Thanks for looking.

I'm at least glad to know that you do not see the owl that jumps right in my eyes. I had a feeling that the two large red deposits were simply a coincidence and not the remnants of two large staring eyes. I'll try shaking that notion from my head, maybe I can see the coin a different way.

I tried taking pictures again. This is the best I can do until I invest in a USB magnifying camera. I really need to get one of those.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
It could be a meteorite.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity